Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Find Seemingly Lost Data. Help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rhymin' Greiman

Rhymin' Greiman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:51 PM

Ok here is my problem. I recently used WinXP to change my login screen and had problems with it. When I would restart my computer it starts up normally until it gets to the point where you usually have to sign in to your profile. But I get a popup box that says:

Parser Message
---------------
RCINT failure. String Table ID not found. '42' at line462

I clicked on the OK button to remove it and it comes right back and I have to click on it about 10 times then it finally disappears and brings me to an alternate sign in screen where it asks for the Owner Signin (which is me and I never have problems from here).

I asked this question on a forum and the person gave me links to solving the problem and they worked but I had to pretty much restore my computer to it's factory settings, only saving a few major files I had created or downloaded.

Now my problem is that before this happened I had a folder with some of my music in it, and also a lot of my files stored in My Documents. When I finally completed the long process of starting over I went to look for them and couldn't find them anywhere. I ran a Search for them, and turned up with nothing. But here's the weird part; I went into My Computer and clicked on my C:/ Drive and the Free Space was still the same as when I had those files.

Now I have tried everything that I could think of myself in tracking down where these files would be hidden and turned up with nothing again. I would be okay with just saying screw it and returning the computer to it's factory settings but since the space is being taken up like the files are still there, wouldn't it be smarter to find them before I give up hope?

I uninstalled WinXP and got my default login screen back, I ran countless virus scans, and still coming up with nothing. I'm even running into problems with my sound (or lack there of) ever since I restarted.

I just don't understand why files that can't be found are still taking up space....

*EDIT* I just fixed the sound but still encountering the above problems.

Edited by Rhymin' Greiman, 19 May 2005 - 05:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:10 PM

Have you scanned for errors? Right click the drive\properties\tools\error checking. You may get lucky.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Rhymin' Greiman

Rhymin' Greiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:23 PM

It just scanned and when it completed nothing popped up, so I assume no errors. Any other ideas?

#4 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:45 PM

www.dirfiles.com has a free program to tell you what is on your disc. If itfinds nothing, at least you will know it is gone.

#5 Rhymin' Greiman

Rhymin' Greiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:46 PM

Thanks, I'll keep ya posted if anything turns up. What program do you recommend because I don't know what exactly I'm looking for?

Edited by Rhymin' Greiman, 19 May 2005 - 07:51 PM.

#6 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:47 PM

http://www.dirfile.com/sc_diskinfo.htm

#7 Rhymin' Greiman

Rhymin' Greiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:48 PM

Thanks

*EDIT*

I used the program and clicked on my C:/ and according to the program I am using 10,908.122 MB (roughly 10.8 GB I think) with 4,808 MB (4.7 GB)of free space. But when I go to My Computer and click on the C:/ it says:

Free Space: 4.69 GB

Total Size: 31.7 GB

Do the math. Thats a lot of unaccounted space missing. This sucks because I may just have to erase the whole hard drive and start from scratch. Can't believe something like this has never turned up before.

Edited by Rhymin' Greiman, 19 May 2005 - 09:12 PM.

#8 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

well folks, any ideas? Here is a program I just found on the web. Don't know anything about it except the source is reliable.http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page5.html#Drive%20Rescue

#9 Rhymin' Greiman

Rhymin' Greiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:22 PM

Drive Rescue did come up with one file but I really don't remember even losing that one. Oh well that program wasn't really gonna help anyways because the three options had nothing to do with what happened to me but it was worth a shot. Thanks for helping though since nobody else knows. I might have finally came up with a stumper for you guys.... wish I was in the mood to be proud.

Edited by Rhymin' Greiman, 19 May 2005 - 10:22 PM.

#10 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:10 PM

Don't give it up. Post again on the hardware forum. You might find a computer builder over there.

#11 Rhymin' Greiman

Rhymin' Greiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:33 PM

I finally figured everything out. The HP support people gave me this link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...ocname=nph00268 and it solved everything I needed.

I'd like to you gunner for trying to help out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users