Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer not functioning

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Beemkay

Beemkay

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

Hi all,

As you can tell from the topic title, I am having a major problem with Windows Installer.

Whenever I try to install anything, I get the "Preparing to install..." box for about 30 seconds, and then it will switch to an error box saying:

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.
This can occur if you are running Windows in safe
mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly
installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

I also get variants these when trying to uninstall or install programs.

---------------------------
Quantum of Solace™
Error 1719.Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Contact your support personnel to verify that it is properly registered and enabled.
OK

Add or Remove Programs
The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

OK

I have tried this Microsoft Support Article, but it did not seem to work for me.

Specifications:
Processor:
Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory:
3582MB RAM
Hard Drive:
Seagate 500 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB
Monitor:
HP D8901 HP 71 17-inch Monitor
Sound Card:
Realtek HD Audio output
Speakers/Headphones:
Takstar Stereo Headphones
Keyboard:
Saitek Eclipse II
Mouse:
Microsoft USB Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 (IntelliPoint)
Mouse Surface:
Road Runner mousepad from my ISP
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
Motherboard:
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Computer Case:
Antec 900

If there's any logs/files/anything you guys need from me to help me, I will gladly get those files for you. Thank you very much and God bless.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

Try the free tool mentioned in this tutorial. Make sure that you check all of the boxes in the Windows Installer section and run the tool: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/160132/how-to-use-dial-a-fix-to-repair-windows-internals-problems/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Beemkay

Beemkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Try the free tool mentioned in this tutorial. Make sure that you check all of the boxes in the Windows Installer section and run the tool: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/160132/how-to-use-dial-a-fix-to-repair-windows-internals-problems/

Holy crap... it's FIXED. Dude, thank you so much. Bleeping Computer.com, you did what MajorGeeks couldn't do in 2 or 3 days (and still haven't done) in EIGHT minutes. I know where to come next time I have a problem. God bless you, thanks. :thumbsup:

#4 Beemkay

Beemkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:35 AM

Holy crap... it's FIXED. Dude, thank you so much. Bleeping Computer.com, you did what MajorGeeks couldn't do in 2 or 3 days (and still haven't done) in EIGHT minutes. I know where to come next time I have a problem. God bless you, thanks. :thumbsup:

First off, my apologies for what could be considered to be a double post.

Although I thought my problem was fixed as Windows Installer was functioning correctly again after using Dial-A-Fix, about an hour later it became broken and I received the same errors I did before. To fix this, I ran Dial-A-Fix for a second time. It fixed the problem as it had done the first time I ran it, but then just as before I got the same old error messages I got before I ran Dial-A-Fix.

Dial-A-Fix is doing something correctly, but I think something is changing its changes.

Sorry about the confusing nature of this post, it is 1 AM here and I am feeling a little weird.

Thanks again.

Edited by Beemkay, 04 January 2009 - 04:36 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

Try a couple of the free scans here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Beemkay

Beemkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:50 AM

Try a couple of the free scans here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252

Nothing's pulling up, except this from Kapersky which I don't really understand...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7 REPORT
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 version: 7.0.25.0
Program database last update: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 03:20:10
Records in database: 1568284
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
Scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan mail databases: yes

Scan area - Critical Areas:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
C:\Documents and Settings\Dylan\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
C:\Program Files
C:\WINDOWS

Scan statistics:
Files scanned: 361291
Threat name: 1
Infected objects: 1
Suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan: 03:49:52

File name / Threat name / Threats count
C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe Infected: not-a-virus:Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.63 1

The selected area was scanned.

It tells me it's infected, but "not-a-virus"... huh?

#7 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:47 AM

Hi Beemkay,

At what point after you've fixed the Windows Installer does it reset itself to the broken state? Does it happen when you try to use it? Does it happen with a certain time-frame? Can you see what programs are running when it's fixed as opposed to when it's not fixed?

When did the problem start? Is it recent and was it after you installed a new piece of software?

Did you already try going back to a restore point from before this started? If you've never done this before, Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore check the box to Restore my computer to an earlier time and click on Next. You'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. Choose one of the dates just preceeding this problem and allow your system to return to that date. See if the problem goes away.
If this doesn't work, go back into System Restore as per the above instructions, only this time choose the option to reverse the change you made.

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users