Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

A better disk cleanup!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:59 AM

A Better Disk Cleanup

This tip will show you how to create an unattended disk cleanup which will also empty your prefetch folder. This tip assumes you have Windows XP installed in c:\windows.

Step 1.
Create a new text file and place the following contents inside:

c:\windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe /dc /sageset: 1
c:
cd \
cd c:\windows\prefetch
del *.* /q

Step 2.
Save the file, changing the extension from .txt to .bat
For this tip's purpose, we will call it clean.bat

Step 3.
Execute the file. This will run the Disk Cleanup program in a special mode which asks what items you will want cleaned when Disk Cleanup performs an unattended cleanup. Check the items you wish to have cleaned up, then click OK.

Step 4.
Right-click on the clean.bat file and click edit. Change the first line to read:

c:\windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe /dc /sagerun: 1

Step 5.
Save the file. You can execute this file in place of running Disk Cleanup, or, to have this program run unattended, run the Add Scheduled Task Wizard in the Control Panel and create a scheduled task using the clean.bat file you just created.

Note: This cleanup script will also clear windows prefetch directory. Often this directory can become cluttered with old appication and a cleaning would free up disk space but it will result in a one time performance decrease and windows has to rebuild the cache with active software afterwards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:12 AM

Wonder how this could help me? Hum........I have winodws cleaner and cleanup. Is this any better than cleanup?

#3 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:40 PM

no but clean up does not delete your prefecth!

#4 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:27 PM

brunt.......whats the advantage of deleting prefetch? Doesn't prefetch help load things faster. :thumbsup:

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:08 PM

CleanUp by Steven Gould? That cleans your prefetch, you can customize it not to if want, but it does do the prefetch files.

pondering, your prefetch files do help your programs to load faster but over time it becomes cluttered with files from programs you no longer use or from installs and removals that it can actually start to slow your computer down.

I have seen it recommended you clean them out every where from once a day to once a year. I clean mine out about once a month and after I install or remove a program.

Here is one of the best clean up tools out there and it is free to use.

http://cleanup.stevengould.org/

The first time you run it you should run it with the standard clean (look in options), then uncheck the preclean and whatever other options you not want cleaned and run it like that until you want to clean your prefetch files again.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#6 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:55 PM

Ronbo..thanks for the explanation. That does look like a good program but I have a couple that are similar. One I use is c cleaner from MG. It will clean the old prefetch and is very easy to understand and use. It's on of my favorite programs. :thumbsup:

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:48 AM

Yep thats what i use! I love it to the toilet flushing and deal! It freeded up 1.3gb on my hd! So i guess ill set it up to clean my prefetch if it can?

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:45 PM

You bet it can! I set it to do the prefetch! Removed 28.3mb of junk!

#9 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 07:20 PM

Glad you figured it out. :flowers: I have to admit that the sound of the toilet flushing brings a smile to my face as it "flushes" the sh...err garbage off of my computer. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ronbo, 13 August 2004 - 07:38 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 07:26 PM

Yes i love the flush sound! ALl those things going out of my pc forever!

#11 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 07:55 PM

Can you recover what the program deletes, or view it before it deletes them? Mine doesn't make any cute :thumbsup: sounds

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:36 AM

http://cleanup.stevengould.org/ Do you have that one??? Yes you can see what it finds before you delete it. Well heres the catch it shows you what it deletes as it does it. Let me see if i can change the setting and the toilet sound??? There is a off button ill tell you where it is in a sec.

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:41 AM

Ok heres the answer you must be using 3.1.2 the newest version. It works better than the old one anyways im told. Heres what you do to disable the sound so maybe do the steps and click enable? It came from my help files:

However, just because no sound events are registered by default, that doesn't mean CleanUp! does not support sound events. In fact it actually supports two different sound events - one for when CleanUp! starts cleaning and another for when CleanUp! finishes cleaning. To enable these however, you will need to register the events yourself, then customize them through the Control Panel. The following describes the steps for doing this:
1. From the Start menu, select run and type in regedit and press Enter.

2. Find the EventLabels key in the registry. In Windows 2000, it is under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels
3. Right click on the EventLabels key, and select New, Key. Name the new key, "CleanUp! Start" (without the quotes). [Be sure there are no leading or trailing spaces, and just one space between "CleanUp!" and "Start".]
4. Change the default entry (on the RHS) under this registry entry to "Start CleanUp!" (again, without the quotes).

5. Find AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default entry. In Windows 2000, it is under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default
6. Right click on the .Default key, and select New, Key. Name the new key, "CleanUp! Start" (same as in step 3).
7. In the Control Panel, open the Sounds dialog. Find the "Start CleanUp!" sound event, and associate with it whatever sound you'd like.
As a bonus, you can also specify a "CleanUp! Complete" sound in the same way - this gets played when CleanUp! is finished.

© Steven R. Gould, 1998-2003

#14 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 07:19 PM

THX CGM.........I wish I had an option to delete or not before it did it. I'd hate to make a mess :thumbsup:

#15 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2004 - 08:13 AM

Me too but it seems to be a smart program! Um......it has the different setting levels! You can customize it ya know! You still cant see them before it deletes them but............well it might make ya feel better

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users