Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with reformating hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DRU587

DRU587

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

Hello,

I've been instructed to seek help here after the decision was made to to do a full format and reinstall of my hard drive.

Here is the previous thread where it was discovered that I had a serious rootkit:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/187054/trojandnschanger/

I'm not sure how to perform a full format and reinstall, and so I've come here seeking someone's help on the best way to go about it. I've also discovered that when I purchased my laptop (Dell Inspiron 600m), it did not come with a operating system CD for reinstallation. Not sure if this will cause a problem, but just wanted you to have a heads up.

Also, I'm unsure of a few things when it comes to doing a full format and reinstall. Will I be able to keep any of the documents (such as pictures, papers, etc.), favorites, or settings I have on my laptop currently?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

A reformat and reinstall will wipe out all data currently exisiting on the hard drive in question. You must back up to another storage medium (like a DVD, USB flash drive, or external hard drive) all files, settings, and data you want or need to keep.

Did your laptop come with any CD's at all? Many manufaturers provide recovery CD's rather than full installation CD's. You may be able to contact Dell and have them mail you a new CD. The recovery CD will perform a full reformat and reinstallation of Windows for you.

#3 DRU587

DRU587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

Well, I am at home for the holidays, and the majority of my computer stuff is back in my apartment at school. I was digging through my room looking for stuff however, and came across a piece of paper that says, "Your new computer does not require an operating system CD or drivers CDs. Instead, if you ever need to reinstall your software, use one of the following methods:

1) Microsoft Windows System Restore: returns your computer to an earlier operating state without affecting data files.

2) Dell PC Restore: returns your computer to its original operating state.

It then goes on to say to learn more about obtaining a copy of your operating system CD or drivers for your computer, visit support.dell.com/pcrt

Would the PC Restore it mentions on that website work for doing a full reformat and reinstall?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

Yes, the Dell PC Restore will wipe your hard drive and will install a fresh copy of Windows. All of the data on the drive will be wiped.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users