Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

My brother got a laptop for Christmas, and we are enabling printer sharing as I type this. This computer (Host) is running XP SP3, however my brother's laptop is running Vista. I went to Control panel, found my printer, right clicked it and chose "sharing". I then chose to share the printer, but a warning came up that sharing a printer without running the network setup wizard is a security risk. Could someone explain to me how this would be a security risk? Also, I continued with sharing the printer and named it. My brother is setting up his laptop to connect to it. Can someone walk me (him) through the steps he needs to take to connect to the printer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dremits

dremits

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:16 AM

Although I can't comment on the network setup issue, in order for your brother to access the printer, if it is not already visible in the print dialogue of the programs, he will need to click 'Add Printer' in the Control Panel > Printers dialogue box. Then select the option to add a 'Network/Wireless/Bluetooth Printer' and follow the on screen instructions.

If you get a problem with installing drivers you should consult the printers manual to see if it mentions steps about setting up the printer on a network. Chances are if you have driver issues, you will need to set up the printer on the vista laptop using the CD that came with your printer.

Edited by dremits, 04 January 2009 - 09:17 AM.

#3 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for the help :thumbsup: It seems, however, that his laptop can't find the printer, and when he types in the computer name/printer name as instructions suggest, it says "Error, Printer spooler service not started, please start the service and try again". The printer spooler service (spoolsv.exe) has been running on my desktop for as long as I can remember.

#4 dremits

dremits

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

Do you have any documentation/cd for your printer?

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

I dont think it will work because it is two different versions of Windows that require different drivers
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 dremits

dremits

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:21 PM

No I'm sure you can. If not does your printer have an ethernet port? If it does it means you can just plug your printer into your router without the need to have a host computer.

#7 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

No ethernet port on the printer, however I think I can find the CD that came with the printer.

#8 dremits

dremits

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

Well just look through the manual (either the hard copy or the one on the CD) and see what information about networking (if any) is provided and let us know here.

#9 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

Will do :thumbsup:

#10 beerworshipper2

beerworshipper2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:16 AM

i had the same problem. my son has cannon printer on a vista home basic machine. i have a xp pro. i had to set the printer up on his computer and install the xp drivers on mine and i haven't had a prob. granted it is hardwired into his machine, but i share through the network. hope it helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users