Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Doom 3 ATI Dirvers

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:56 AM

These are beta drivers and are meant to improve Doom3, I am now using them and working great!

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:01 PM

Sweet!!

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:04 PM

I also was told to make an autoexec.cfg file in the doom3\bin directory (think thats it, just look for the doom3.cfg and make it in the same directory) and add the following lines to it:

seta image_useCache "1"
seta image_cacheMegs "256"
seta image_cacheMinK "2048"

Change the 256 to how much memory you have on your card.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:32 PM

When you install a new ati driver do you bother removing the old one or just upgrade it?

I know nvidia was particular about that..not sure if ati is as much

#5 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:47 PM

you just instal over it! It will erase it by itself!

#6 AMD_XP2600+M

AMD_XP2600+M

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:07 PM

I am haveing no probs running DOOM 3 with my setup avg of 47FPS

#7 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:44 PM

that about what I get avg is 44. at 1024x768 and high detail!

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:08 PM

im getting that now too..takes a while i guess for the textures to loads as its a bit choppy at first..then smooths out

#9 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 August 2004 - 12:08 PM

Ya an finally got to actually listen to it last night! No one was home nighbors were gone! Turned up my klipsch 5.1 speakers and wow! Headphones are great but thunder is better :thumbsup:

#10 Ketch

Ketch

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 14 August 2004 - 11:30 AM

Im having problems gettting any performance out of my PC for Doom 3, and im wondering if its Video Card based.

I am currently running Windows XP on a 2.4ghz Pentium 4 with 512MB RAM and an ATI Radeon 9200 SE 128MB DDR card.

With Doom 3 even set to low quality the game runs with unplayable lag. I understand that with my spec I ought to atleast be able to play on medium quality without dropping frames everywhere.

I dont game much on my PC, so im kind of at a loss to why im getting no love. I seem to have 38 running processes as standard, which seems high, although I ought to be clean of viruses and spyware. Although I run Norton Antivirus 2003 and Spyware Guard I switch it all of before I play (or try to).

Little help?

#11 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 12:10 PM

The box I run doom 3 on has a p4 3.2 and 512 megs of some low latency ram and a 9800 pro oc'd. It lags here and there. What I wold do is cut off some of those services at least while your playing the game! I turn of everything exept my firewall and explorer.exe and the svchost. Everything else is gone! it take 384 megs of ram. Try disabling through taks manager most of those while playing the game you will see a little more performance!

#12 Ketch

Ketch

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 01:12 PM

Most of these processes dont actually seem to take up all that much RAM though. I've shut all of the bigger ones down except explorer and svchost and still i have really poor performance. Its not lagging here and there, its constant lag with the frames refreshing about 1 a second.

Perhaps my PC needs a cleanout, or perhaps I need to buy that new one I was thinking about. :thumbsup:

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2004 - 05:01 PM

Shutdown antivirus as well. Some virus scanners check every file regardless of whether or not they can contain viruses normally. Therefore if the program loads textures you may get that extra hit.

Personally I think your specs on the computer are fine. If anything it would be the graphics card. Do you agree Brunt?

#14 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 August 2004 - 11:24 PM

For the most part yes! The video card is a biggy. But also depends on what kind of ram you are using. Like pc 2100 in no dual channel mode, will crack under the pressure. As Grinler said turn everything off if you want ( if your on broadband) you can close your connection and close eveything down again exept explorer and the svchosts and vsmon crss and smss.exe But what kind of ram are you running ie..pc 2100 2700, 3200? And you can overclock :thumbsup: that gpu a little bit and it would help just a little!

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2004 - 11:51 PM

Is the 9200 SE even a decent card? I thought the se cards were very so so

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users