Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade win 2000 pro to win xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gwlove

gwlove

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

Ok, here goes. :thumbsup: I bought a used Compaq Armada e500 laptop about 9 months ago. I know I screwed up now but I could not afford a new laptop and still can't. I am now finding out that this system is so old nothing supports it anymore. Some programs stop running and can't be reloaded like my Microsoft word program. I have two different word programs but they won't load. I want to upgrade from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Pro. I have a Windows XP Pro, with service pack 1a included, reinstall disk that came with my daughters Dell laptop computer. Will this disk work on my computer? :huh: If so, how do I use it? If not, is there a web site that I can down load Windows XP for free or at the lowest price possible. I know this is asking a lot but it doesn't hurt to ask. I have always been told, if you don't ask you will never know. So I am asking for help with this.
Thank you!
gwlove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

that came with my daughters Dell laptop computer

That will not work
If all you are worried about is the various Office programs have a look at Open Office
http://www.openoffice.org/
It's free and compatible with Windows Office documents
When I upgraded an old Thinkpad from W2k to XP, I had to flash/upgrade the BIOS
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:35 AM

If not, is there a web site that I can down load Windows XP for free

Sorry, but we at BC cannot and will not support illegal activities.

Also as stated by garmanma you will not be able to use your daughter's XP cd. If you really want XP on your system you will have to buy it. However I would make sure your laptop supports XP (eg. Ram requirements met, etc) before you do pull the trigger.

Usually you can find an alternative to software that may not work with Win 2K (such as Openoffice alternative above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users