Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt files

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Sleey Wood

Sleey Wood

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

I'm using microsoft XP SP 3 home edition x86 based PC (idk if that made sense). Well, recently, I've discovered that an increasing number of my files are getting corrupted. As scandisk cannot be initiated on my system for some unknown reason, I used the seatools (seagate utility?) to check for bad partitions on my harddisk. A quick scan showed that my harddisk is fine. What is happening and what should I do? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

You can try running CHKDSK. This can be done by going to my computer>right click on your main drive (Usually C:\) > Right click > Properties > Tools > Check now.

Alternatively you can use a tool such as DialAFix to re-register your computers components, see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1073555 for help another member has given on how to use DialAFix.

Advanced SystemCare V3 has a tool to check system files, and if you have the correct operating CD then this is very simple.
Try the first two steps i offered and if your still not happy then feel free to post back.
If i or another member dont reply in 24 hours pm me :thumbsup:

Good luck :flowers:
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

Well...I'm just curious as to how you came to the conclusion...that files are corrupt.

IME, corrupt files don't generate an error message or provide any other visible signs that such is the case...and it's pure guesswork on my part when I conclude that files may be corrupt.

Do you have any error messages that might provide any clues as to what is happening?

As suggested in the previous link, chkdsk /r is one of the tools which can be run, while sfc /scannow is really the tool to run if you are convinced that system files are damaged.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

SeaTools can run something like chkdsk (along with other tests).
The quick test only tests part of your hard drive - so you won't get valid results unless you run the complete test.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Sleey Wood

Sleey Wood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:41 AM

Well...I'm just curious as to how you came to the conclusion...that files are corrupt.

IME, corrupt files don't generate an error message or provide any other visible signs that such is the case...and it's pure guesswork on my part when I conclude that files may be corrupt.

Do you have any error messages that might provide any clues as to what is happening?

As suggested in the previous link, chkdsk /r is one of the tools which can be run, while sfc /scannow is really the tool to run if you are convinced that system files are damaged.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

Erm... I had problems previewing my image files and had problems opening them. Also, I have some un-open-able document (.doc) files.

I've initiated the System File checker through advanced systemcare free 3 but it shows up a blank DOS window with a blinking cursor and it has been like that for hours.

You can try running CHKDSK. This can be done by going to my computer>right click on your main drive (Usually C:\) > Right click > Properties > Tools > Check now.

Alternatively you can use a tool such as DialAFix to re-register your computers components, see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1073555 for help another member has given on how to use DialAFix.

Advanced SystemCare V3 has a tool to check system files, and if you have the correct operating CD then this is very simple.
Try the first two steps i offered and if your still not happy then feel free to post back.
If i or another member dont reply in 24 hours pm me :thumbsup:

Good luck :flowers:

SeaTools can run something like chkdsk (along with other tests).
The quick test only tests part of your hard drive - so you won't get valid results unless you run the complete test.

CHKDSK would be an easy option for me, but it doesn't work on my machine. Nothing comes up when i try to start the program from properties and it gives me an program error when i try to run it from command prompt.

Chkdsk.exe - Application ErrorThe application failed to initialize properly (0x0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application

Note: things i haven't done from suggestions: DialAFix, Full seatool scan

Edited by Sleey Wood, 04 January 2009 - 05:43 AM.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:02 AM

It seems everything that you have tried has been done from within windows. Try using Sea Tools for Dos. You boot from the cd you create and test the drive without mounting it. Read the Seatools for DOS tutorial so you burn the .iso properly to make it bootable.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:49 AM

It may well be a good idea to try Dial-A-Fix, but ensure you create a system restore before.
A full seatool scan is also a good thing to try out, because in the words you've put it... it seems you wont have the computer to fix for much longer.

Let us know how your getting on after the two suggestions you haven't yet tried.

Have you also scanned for Malware? Viruses? and Spyware?

#8 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:29 AM

As an alternative you can install The Recovery Console. However that will require the xp cd.

If you can install that:
  • Boot into Recovery Console
  • Select your windows partition (usually 1)
  • Run chkdsk /r, and see if that works
hope all works
Regards
~powerjuce

#9 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:19 PM

You could alternatively try booting into safe mode and running all of these tools to make sure theirs nothing blocking it :thumbsup:

#10 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

Chkdsk.exe - Application ErrorThe application failed to initialize properly (0x0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application

Error 5 is Access Denied. Are you doing this stuff from an Administrator account?
btw it does sound like stuff is hosed pretty good. You might want to think about trying
to get any files off that you need if you're not backed up already.

Edited by MilesAhead, 04 January 2009 - 01:50 PM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#11 Sleey Wood

Sleey Wood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:54 AM

Error 5 is Access Denied. Are you doing this stuff from an Administrator account?
btw it does sound like stuff is hosed pretty good. You might want to think about trying
to get any files off that you need if you're not backed up already.

err... this is my only computer account so i don't know. :s
i've tried starting my computer in safe mode and going into the adminstrator account to run chkdsk but the same errors appear.

Have you also scanned for Malware? Viruses? and Spyware?

I run AVG free once a week and dump whatever it finds into the vault.

I've left my computer overnight to run the seatools long self drive test. Results show a PASS.

As an alternative you can install The Recovery Console. However that will require the xp cd.

If you can install that:
1.Boot into Recovery Console
2.Select your windows partition (usually 1)
3.Run chkdsk /r, and see if that works

hope all works
Regards
~powerjuce

question1: if i use the recovery function that the windows XP disc provides, is it the same?
question2: will it mess up the windows update stuff?

#12 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

I am talking about the original Windows Xp cd. It is the disc that you can install windows from.
Is that what you have or do you have a "recovery" disc that came with your computer?

#13 Sleey Wood

Sleey Wood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:03 AM

I'm talking about the original windows XP CD. The article seems to feature 2 ways of using the console. One through installation and selecting the console on startup and the other is to run the "repair" option when booting from CD. Are the both the same?

#14 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

Ok, select the windows recovery console. Then after that follow these steps:

If you can install that:

#15 Sleey Wood

Sleey Wood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

Ok, select the windows recovery console. Then after that follow these steps:

If you can install that:

i just did that and it "fixed one or more errors". Now when I try to run chkdsk using start>run, it says the application or DLL C:\windows\system32\ifsutil.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette :<

I don't even have a floppy drive :thumbsup:

should I dialAfix now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users