Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting Over

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nova413

nova413

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:09 AM

I have had my computer for over 6 years and there is so many files and stuff on it that I no longer need. Is there a way to clear my hard drive and start over, but keep a few programs that I need like my printer program and word?

Edited by nova413, 03 January 2009 - 11:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

This answer will not please you at all, however another user may be able to help with more assistance.

But i suggest you manually go through and uninstall the unneeded applications you need and delete the files you don't need anymore.
I often find a 6-monthly old-fashioned cleanup process is good practice.

Alternatively you can seek advice from this board for reformatting your computer, and reinstalling it. This will be like having a completely new computer... there will be no files apart from the default system ones, and your computer should be back to around 85% of your original system speed.
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#3 nova413

nova413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

Thanks anyway but, I would prefer not to go through it all b/c I don't know what programs have stored files in certain locations and I need to de-clutter everything. But, If anyone knows how to reformat and reinstall I would love a lesson.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:14 PM

I have always found these to be the most informative and accurate articles on this matter.
After reading those you will have only a few remaining questions to ask here.
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 amyl

amyl

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

I have had my computer for over 6 years and there is so many files and stuff on it that I no longer need. Is there a way to clear my hard drive and start over, but keep a few programs that I need like my printer program and word?

This is what I was speaking with you today at work about....I just did a system recovery and it wiped out everything. I re-added all programs from my cd's for the comp and printer and all that. It did wipe out the driver for my speakers but i don't have my cd for that and you might.

But it sounds like your comp is just running slow and doesn't need this durastic measure. Another option is to manually delete programs you don't need but if you don't know which ones you need......you have your cd's that come with the comp so you can just re-install them.

If you want to do system recovery...you turn comp on and hold down f10. If it doesn't come up try f11.
You can also use f10 to select "last known good configuration" but I don't know that this would help.

Just be patient and you will find a fix but it will take some time to do it yourself

This is a link that someone posted on my page to removed selected files it might be helpful
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html.

Also type into search "system recovery" I am the topic starter and there are some suggestions on how to fix slow comp in a link

Edited by amyl, 06 January 2009 - 01:47 PM.

#6 amyl

amyl

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:39 AM

I have always found these to be the most informative and accurate articles on this matter.
After reading those you will have only a few remaining questions to ask here.
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech

I would read these because they are very very helpful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users