Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop freezes randomly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hisuka2001

hisuka2001

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

I have an old Toshiba a60 satellite series (2004 when was bought). Out of curiousity, I tried to remove all of the screws placed in the bottom part of the laptop which led to its malfunction. This happened around 1-2 months ago, so I had it fixed at a local repair center and upgraded its onboard 256 memory with additional 1Gb. According to the repair center, it was a motherboard problem although I was a bit doubtful... however, they were able to fixed it.

I reformatted the laptop since the OS was corrupted due to my tinkering in the first place. I noticed when I tried to install Microsoft Office 2007 it often freezes during installation. Only through persistent installing-uninstalling of the said software that I was able to finally setup Microsoft Office 2007. But this scenario doesn't happen when I installed other programs like NOD32 antivirus, klmf codec pack, etc...

Now when I use programs particularly 3ds max or open multiple programs (around 3-4) my laptop suddenly freezes. When I rebooted and run the programs again, my laptop freezes earlier than before. I look at the 'event viewer' it says something about "the device, \device\harddisk0\d paging operation error..." I did a checkdisk and defragment the HDD, and also run HDD Regenerator. Did my usual stuff and again the laptop freezes but this time when I look up the even viewer it displays the following message, "the device, \device\harddisk0\d , has a bad block" Also when I tried to run HD Tune, it specifies an error reading during benchmark...?

Does this mean that the problem is in the HDD? Can I still fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:14 PM

Yes, no.

You cannot "fix" it, but you may be able to work around it.

Take a read: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/29

This all assumes that hard disk 0 is your C: partition (can be verified by checking in Disk Management). To access DM, Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc, hit Enter or OK. The bottom portion will reflect various disks/partitions installed.

Louis

#3 hisuka2001

hisuka2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:57 PM

Thank You Luis for the suggestion :flowers: , however, I just did a slow reformat 1 week ago. Before that, I also noticed that the system freezes whenever I tried to install Microsoft Office 2007. That particular problem still persisted even after I formatted my laptop...
Are there other 'work arounds' for this bad block problem besides formatting? And also if I may asked I don't clearly know the severity of the problem just what it says in the event viewer which I mentioned in the first post, and two bad sectors when I defragment the disk. Are there other utilities that I might used to diagnosed clearly the problem?
Thanks again :thumbsup:

#4 hisuka2001

hisuka2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:31 AM

May I ask how to differentiate if the system freezes due to HDD problem or that of other causes? Event viewer displays no errors as of now. My laptop still freezes after running HDD Regenerator, but it didn't found any bad sector. Although when I scanned the HDD through S.M.A.R.T. from Hiren's BootCD the two bad block are still there. Furthermore, surface scan of the HDD always fails relaying an 'error in the read element'... What does that mean?

I'm thinking that another cause that my laptop freezes is due to a high temp. Are there any symptoms of 'system freeze' that is significant due to high temp and not to other causes that the pc freezes?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

I didn't mean to appear to advocate formatting...I was just providing data which showed how hard drives and the formatting process normally deal with bad blocks. What I wanted you to get out of that is that you don't have to "fix" the problem, there are inherent workarounds.

If you are getting errors re the hard drive...when you run the manufacturer's diagnostic, then I'd say it's time to prep a new drive. All those other programs you mentioned...they mean nothing to me...so I have some doubts about using them over the manufacturer's diagnostic.

As for diagnosing HD situations...I rely on chkdsk /r and the manufacturer's diagnostic for its drives. I've not seen a need to rely on anything else. SMART is part of the diagnostic and can also (normally) be turned on in the BIOS, if a user wants to use it.

Any time that I've had a questionable hard drive, Event Viewer brought it to my attention before anything else. Then I ran chkdsks /r, followed by manufacturer's diag.

As for high temps...overheating is a common cause of freezing in Windows. This can be overcome by cleaning and doing what can be done to maintain a system that has optimum cooling. In my experience, freezes caused by overheating are seldom (if ever) documented by a STOP or other error message, nor is there any documentation in Event Viewer to enlighten the user/owner.

I have no idea at all why installing an app (even one as complex as MS Office) would cause a system to freeze...unless the files used for the install are corrupt.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users