I'm assuming you ran Combofix on your own?
You can try Dial-a-fix
How to use Dial-A-Fix to repair windows internals problemsGuide Overview
The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to reset windows settings in the event they are damaged. This is useful for repairing many issues with windows installer, windows update, https connections, and many other issues. However, it is a specific tool which is not a cure all. Hardware problems and windows' file integrity should be checked before using DialAFix.
However, it is recomended that you start a topic in the Windows XP Home and Professional
forum about your issue before using Dial-A-Fix due to the caveats below.Caveats:
Users wishing to run DialAFix on their own should read http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#WARNINGS
Also please note that Dial-A-Fix is only for Windows 2000/XP. Use of Dial-A-Fix on Windows 9x (that is, 95, 98, ME) or Windows Vista can have unpredicable results!!Tools NeededInstructions
The following is an incomplete list of examples of known problems that can cause Dial-a-fix to exaggerate or expose issues on your system:
[*]Memory module failures
- Hard drive integrity problems, possibly including but not limited to:
- Registry entry corruption
- Filesystem corruption, possibly leading to:
- System file corruption
- Registry hive corruption
[*]Other hardware failures (video card, motherboard, processor, modem, etc)
[*]Use of Dial-a-fix on an unsupported platform (such as Windows XP x64; 32-bit XP with a 64-bit processor is fine, however)
[*]Use of Dial-a-fix with unsupported beta software
- Before you begin, READ THE CAVEATS ABOVE!!
- Ensure your system's Date and Time are set correctly. You should also rule out possible hardware failures before using Dial-A-Fix.
- Download Dial-A-Fix and unzip the files to your desktop.
- Double click Dial-a-Fix.exe to start the program.
- Press the green double checkmark box (Looks like this: )
- UNcheck "Empty Temp Folders", as well as "Adjust Time/Date" in the prep section. The prep section should then look like this:
- When the window looks like this, press the GO button in the bottom of the window.
- Exit/Close Dial-A-Fix
why won't my laptop work?
Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook