Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Seperate Network Cards

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 davenetd

davenetd

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

Hi all:

My system:
Brand new IBM thinkpad with all the bells and whistles
Windows XP Pro
Wireless Card (network A)
Ethernet card (network :thumbsup:

Problem:
I need to be on two networks at the same time, but at this moment I can't get it working. DHCP is turned on for network B (hard line) and off for NW A (wireless). When I have them both connected, I can only use one of them and have to disable the other.

Needs:
I am going to a conference and have to setup a wireless network to a server inside a hotel that we will use for most everything. However, I will not be able to hook this server up to the internet because I don't want to be conflicting with the hotel network. I need the internet briefly in the conference so I thought that I would just plug the laptop into their network for the internet but still have my wireless connection active. Is this possible and how do I do it.

Progress:
I have a test setup in my office simulating the exact scenario that I will have there at the hotel. The wireless works independently, and the hard line works independently. Everything is broadband, but I cannot seem to be able to use the two simiultaneously.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :flowers:

Thanks
Davenetd
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davenetd

davenetd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:51 AM

Ok:

Figured out that you can bridge the two connections in XPro by highlighting the connections and clicking "bridge". This seems to work fine. :thumbsup: However, I will also have 2000 pro machines there and that option is not available on that version of windows. :flowers: Does anyone have any solution as to how I am going to have both connections running simultaneously in win 2000 pro? :trumpet:

Thanks
davenetd :inlove:
Posted Image

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:01 AM

So I understand you have got your Thinkpad to run the wireless network and connect to a hardwired ethernet network for internet access. You have bridged the two networks (though I'm going to have to check up what that really means) and it does what you want it to do?
So what is the issue with the Win2000 Pro machine(s)? If it's wirelessly networked to your laptop then share the internet connection of your laptop with it using ICS.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 davenetd

davenetd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:17 AM

Rimmer:

Sorry about the late reply, I hope that you read it.

My thinkpad was not the server running the network.

Wireless Network: (no internet access)
Run by server IBM iseries
laptops connected via wireless cards (some internal some ext) to
access point on iseries
some running XPpro some on 2000pro

Ethernet Network: (for internet only)
Run by hotel server
connections available through data ports, but no in every room used
same laptops connecting

Could not figure out a way to use both cards simultaneously with 2000pro
machines. I am not familiar with ICS, but would like info on it for future occasions.
I am still learning alot about networking, but i have only been doing it for a few
months with what little spare time I have.

We couldn't run the iseries through the hotel network because of conflicting issues.
The hotel was unwilling (I don't blame them) to alter their network to help resolve the issues. Because this server is used on a daily basis elsewhere, it was not feasable to change its IP configuration to get it in the range of the hotel network. Even if wee did, the hotel had a wireless connection available also. Since their were no data ports in most the rooms we were using, wireless was used. If we "piggy backed" off their network, the wireless connections would conflict. In short, it was a cluster you know what. So in the end, we had two laptops for the rooms that needed internet connection (one on each network) and connected both of them to the digital projectors. Switching back and forth when need be.

In the future we would like to continue to run the networks seperately, but need hotel internet access. So I guess we will upgrade all PC's to XP pro.

Thanks
Any tips are welcome

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:49 PM

I still don't really understand what you are (were) trying to set up, but you may have been overcomplicating the issue.

If the hotel provides broadband internet access and all your client laptops were able to wirelessly network to your IBM server (I think you said via a wireless access point) then I think you could achieve what you needed by replacing the WAP with a wireless router.
The thinkpads connect wirelessly to the router and the router points them at the server for networking tasks or at the broadband connection for internet tasks. The only thing which has to be setup for the hotel network is the router WAN port. And you only need one wireless network card in each laptop.

ICS is a MS basic software router included with Windows, designed to allow home users to share a single point internet connection with multiple PCs. It only works with one set of IP addresses so it may cause conflicts with a client server network. It's not necessary if you have a router.

use both cards simultaneously

This is the part I am most unclear about (probably because I've never tried it) - there should be no problem setting up two independent network cards in a Win2000 Pro PC. But what do you mean by use them simultaneously? If you configured the cards and could see network resources then you were using them. What happened when you tried?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 davenetd

davenetd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:04 AM

Rimmer:

Thanks for the tip about trading out the WAP for a router. That may work which would take away some bad headaches.

When I said simultaneously: I meant that I wanted to use my ethernet card to stay connected to the internet while remaining connected to my server with the wireless card. Win2000 pro doesn't allow you to do this. When you configure the cards and connect to the networks, only the first one you connect to works. So if I enable the Wireless card first and the ethernet second, then I can see my server, but when I try to get on the internet I get "Page not Found". But if I immediately disable the wireless connection, then I can connect to the internet with the ethernet card. If I do it the other way, I can get on the internet, but not the server (until I disable the ethernet card).

So, the two will not run simultaneously. Win2000 pro will only use one card at a time. Win XPro will let you bridge the two card's connections and use it as one. So this works just fine. Weird to me.

Thanks for the replies Rimmer.
DaveNETD :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users