Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duel widescreens help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 badomen111

badomen111

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:21 AM

I recently brought a new wide screen for my PC and now im having all sorts of issues...

My system was working fine when i had
Processor:2.2 duel core
Ram:2 gig
GPU1: 8800 nvidia
GPU2: %50 peice of junk
Screens: 1 wide screen, 2x 17" normal screens

When i got my new wide screen i upgraded my GPU to a single 4870 ati card and ran both monitors off that (made sure to uninstall the older drivers and install newest ones for both monitor and GPU). When i did though i had issues.

I would have a game (WoW) on one screen and a web browser on the other. But when i would try scroll down with the mouse on the 2nd screen it wouldn't load the page, it would just display the last line over and over (if i hit page down it seemed to load ok...).

So i uninstalled the new GPU and put the 8800 back in. Got the latest drivers and still having issues!. I even tried unplugging the second monitor.
No only did it not get better now it keeps crashing my game saying it cant read files etc (it worked before fine!)

What could it be? Not enought ram? Not enough power? over heating?

Please help!

EDIT: it seems to be getting worse now when i log into my game it wont draw anything, just stays black with only my character loading

Edited by badomen111, 03 January 2009 - 07:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:48 AM

Hi badomen, I'm a little confused about this:

GPU1: 8800 nvidia
GPU2: %50 peice of junk

Were there originally two discrete video cards in the system?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 badomen111

badomen111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

Yeah, two cards. sorry its ment to be $50 piece of junk

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:09 AM

What type of card was it? Moving between different GPU manufacturers, there may be conflicts if drivers haven't un-installed cleanly...

#5 badomen111

badomen111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

Honestly no idea.. i made sure i uninstalled all old drivers before continuing to install the new ATI card though

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:37 PM

As a first step to try regarding possible issues with previous drivers, boot into Safe Mode (most folk know, but tap F8 at boot), and in the Device Manager, if any "phantom" previous video devices besides the current video card device appear, remove them. Don't accidentally remove the current one... :thumbsup:

Since the fault condition persists with the previously functional card re-fitted, it seems unlikely to be an overheating or power issue, unless, say, the PSU has just started to have problems now by chance or a fan has been dislodged or got a cable pushed against it.

If it's being caused by hardware, I'd think more likely that something else has been disturbed by the video cards being removed and replaced. Try unplugging and re-seating all the cable connections in the system, check they feel firm, and eject and re-seat the RAM cards in case there's a spot of tarnish giving a bad contact. Make sure the video card is seating fully down into the expansion slot, eg the motherboard mounting hasn't allowed it to flex downward away from the card.

Edited by Platypus, 03 January 2009 - 05:41 PM.

#7 4fingerlid

4fingerlid

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

Could be a power supply issue. I'm running the radeon 4850 & the minimum power supply recommended is 450 watt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users