Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow and strange acting computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfy87

Wolfy87

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:32 AM

We have had this laptop for four years now and we have been experiancing many odd problems that i have never seen befour on my own computer or any other for that matter. First off whenever internet explorer is started up it goes straight to "http://runonce.msn.com/runonce3.aspx" instead of "http://www.google.co.uk/" although i have set it as a homepage.

All icons in the topleft of all forms like Minimize, Maximize and close are extreamly small.

All default backcolours of forms are slightly darker than usual, I cannot update AVG Antivirus free addition for of an invalid CTF File? And also when i install Visual Basic express eddition 2008 it dose not run because of an error and i connot regester it because of an error and i am told to contact microsoft. Thid is about all the errors but there are many more i cannot recall at the moment but there is also problems with the hardware, the disktray opens by itself and "@" is swapped with """but the 2 and the ' are still the same. Any help would be great,
Thanks, Wolfy87.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:44 AM

Sounds like a complete spawn of errors caused by malware. If someone else can back me up here, then do so.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

* 2X-click mbam-setup.exe and install the program.

* At the end, checkmark:

o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
o Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

* Then click Finish.

* As soon as it loads, select quick scan, then click Scan.

* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.

*Post the log in your next reply.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:13 AM

Moving to Am I Infected?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

The @ and " key swap is related to KeyBoard config and it easily changed by making all keyboard options United Kingdom, an error i encounter a lot when helping clients.

Edited by Tehsplink, 03 January 2009 - 10:45 AM.

Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#5 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:21 PM

Ok, thankyou for the advice on the keyboard config Tehsplink, i will try that shortly as for Mbam, i already have that as well as SUPERantispyware and Spybot search and destroy, theese show no errors or malware when a full scan is compleated whis is very odd :S Because my computer every time i scan shows atleast two tracking cookies that i get from google (Well, from what i can gather).

#6 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

Also when i want or need to perform boot scan do i use safe mode? for i have used the boot scan a few times befour but i can remember how :S.
And i update my anti malware stuff almoast dayley, the odd thing is though i am not finding things that i would say where caused by malware :S they look more like windows getting it wrong and you have got to admit microsft do like there errors, "Windows encounterd a error loading the last error." and that kind of thing. And why would malware make your buttons smaller and change the back colour to a slightly darker grey. Also i have just realised, we have five user accounts and only three are all messed up, but the other 2 are just like my computer i am writing from now, perfectly fine.

My mum is convinced it is caused by a web based java game that we play produced by Dan Ball (Its a physics game, make things go boom in general :thumbsup:) but this could never be the case could it?

Thanks, Wolfy87.

Edited by Wolfy87, 03 January 2009 - 02:29 PM.

#7 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:25 PM

If the computer you described seems to be slow, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users