Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup freeze

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jammybob

jammybob

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:58 AM

When I start up my computer, the windows XP starts, i get my wallpaper, icons and everything up but after about 30 seconds, i get a red stripe at the top of the screen and a red box around wherever my cursor happens to be and everything simply stops frozen.
I can work in safe mode (which I'm doing now) but not in normal. None of my virus programs can find anything (Malwarebytes, Symantic or Superantispyware) so I'm at a loss. I'm soooo tempted to just reinstall windows but last time I did that i was walked through it and my warenty has now expired so I would be scared of doing that alone.
Please help :thumbsup:
ps... if any of this is unreadable, its because in safe mode i dont appear to be able to adjust the resolution so everything is huge and I can't see the whole screen very easilly

Forgot to mention, I try to run Avg and it says it cannot connect and tells me to reinstall it. When I go to the AVG webpage it tells me that the server is down which seems really odd to me

Edited by jammybob, 03 January 2009 - 06:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:38 AM

Please run system file checker.

Put your XP CD in the drive. Then click start then run, and in the address box type cmd then click OK. At the command window type:
sfc /scannow then hit enter.

Windows checks to see if any critical files are damaged. If files are damaged, SFC will replace them.

If you have any issues or get prompted to insert the XP Pro CD then go here or PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users