Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ACPI to Standard PC in Devmgr

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:36 AM

Hello all, this one was a first for me:

They changed from ACPI Multiprocessor PC to Standard PC in the device manager and now the machine will not boot.

I think a repair install will fix however, I am reluctant, is there a way to change this setting back without booting to the machine and without re-installing the operating system? I have easy access to the hdd from a remote machine, and I can change files with no issue on the machine, however I was wondering if I can change the file (I just dont remember where it is located) so that Windows will boot back using ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

Intel Core2 Duo

Edited by lowtek_otc, 03 January 2009 - 04:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:15 AM

Hi lowtek otc,

Who changed it?

Please see this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...mp;x=13&y=7

It may or may not apply, but it gives some background information regarding this problem.

Zllio

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:28 AM

Hi lowtek otc,

Who changed it?

Please see this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...mp;x=13&y=7

It may or may not apply, but it gives some background information regarding this problem.

Zllio

Thanks for the reply.

The owner of the computer changed it while messing around, they remembered what they did because it did not boot after they changed it. Yea I know...
however I am still trying to help them and I really want to know if it is possible without re-installing the O.S.
according to that knowledge base it seems I need to configure the O.S. to load Halmacpi.dll

This is also a quote from that page:

Scenario 2
Source computer: ACPI Uniprocessor (ACPI APIC UP)
Destination computer: ACPI Multiprocessor (ACPI APIC MP)
In this scenario, use the following entry:
UpdateHal=ACPIAPIC_MP, %windir%\inf\hal.inf

Would this be a cmd command? It states quite a bit about this "UpdateHal" and I was wondering if anyone has any insight on what this About UpdateHal tool is and how to use it?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

That excerpt looks like a command prompt entry to me, but I'm no expert of any sort :thumbsup:.

From the link:

Device Manager does not permit the change from a Non-ACPI HAL to an ACPI HAL. You must use a new install of Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 for this kind of change. Change from an ACPI HAL to a Non-ACPI HAL only for troubleshooting purposes.

That seems pretty definitive to me, when one contemplates other methods of correcting the situation.

Louis

#5 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

Ok I am going to perform the repair install and I have the users XP Home Key, and I have both retail and OEM install discs. I am at work now and I have all the tools necessary however, I know that if I attempt a repair with OEM and the install is in fact retail then it will mess up and vice versa.

Now how can I tell if the version of windows currently installed on the drive is OEM or Retail? This is a custom build box and the key is not printed on a label. (the case is actually quite ugly). This is a legit key and I am sure it is OEM but is there a way to know on an installed OS?

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

hi lowtek_otc,

One solution, and maybe the fastest way to tell if a machine is OEM, is to call Microsoft. Ask them if the number your client gave you is a Volume License Number? They will want to know the serial number or activation code. If it's an OEM number, they'll tell you, because they won't help you if it's OEM. If they don't tell you specifically if it's OEM, just ask them.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resourc...ol/numbers.mspx

Zllio

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

Well, first of all...let's understand that there are two different OEM versions of XP.

1. Microsoft OEM (currently called System Builders), which any person can buy and then install on a system put together by her/him.

2. Boxmaker (Dell, eMachines, Gateway, Compaq, etc) versions, which are installed by those companies on systems for resale.

I have MS OEM versions of XP and there is no difference that I can detect between the files installed by me and the files which might be installed by a retail or upgrade version of XP. The important part of the install process, as far as Microsoft is concerned...is the key. I believe that the key indicates what version is applicable, not the files themselves.

You say that you have a MS OEM version...if that is the case, you ought to be able to do a repair install of any system with XP installed on it, provided you use the correct, legal key.

I've done this.

Louis

#8 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

I FOUND THE STICKER!

Haha, it is OEM and it seems direct from microsoft OEM (curved label with no manufacturer noted)

I am trying a repair install now.

I tried replacing the hal.dll with multiple others with no success. I will let you all know how this repair install goes...

Thanks.

EDIT:

Oh boy, there is no option to perform a repair install in the setup!!
They have like 12 games + steam installed on this thing, it would take forever to do a clean install!!

Edited by lowtek_otc, 03 January 2009 - 04:11 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

Did you boot from the disk and enter the DOS based setup screens for Windows XP? The first screen should ask you if you want to setup Windows XP - you press Enter for that one. The 3rd screen will ask you if you want to repair an existing Windows installation - if you don't have this option then you must stop the repair right then and there (or you'll wipe out everything on the drive).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Did you boot from the disk and enter the DOS based setup screens for Windows XP? The first screen should ask you if you want to setup Windows XP - you press Enter for that one. The 3rd screen will ask you if you want to repair an existing Windows installation - if you don't have this option then you must stop the repair right then and there (or you'll wipe out everything on the drive).

Thanks usasma for the insight, but yes, I have done all of that, and trust me I will not continue with the re-install until I get this sorted.

Looks like I was being dumb though and was using my retail install cd and thus it would not give me repair option. OEM gave me the option and I began the repair install, it completed copying files and rebooted the the "well known" GUI for windows setup (the one with the bullets on the left "copying files" etc etc)

It got pretty far and I walked away as I have other machines I am working on at the moment, and it FROZE. Just my luck. I rebooted and all seems normal it says "restarting windows setup" and then I can see the mouse curson in low resolution with a black background, it seems the GUI never shows! It should be starting the windows setup again, but nothing! Now if I try to re-do the repair install using OEM or RETAIL it will not give me a repair option.

Keep in mind I have scanned with the Seatools bootable test, PC Doctor full hardware tests, and Memtest 86. All passes.

Does anyone have any other things I should try? Has anyone ever seen the Windows setup not load it's GUI before?

ALSO:
I currently have /SOS trigger on the boot.ini and it now shows dual processor during the xp "splash" meaning that the hal.dll was repaired in the install however now I am not able to finish setup.

The setup will stop @ black screen with mouse in either normal or safe mode.

Edited by lowtek_otc, 03 January 2009 - 06:42 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:31 PM

References for those who might not know what is likely in a repair install of XP:

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

A lot of this depends on where in the XP installation process stopped - and what error messages it generated when it stopped. For example, the infamous 34 minute hiccup has some standard troubleshooting procedures.

Here's a link with descriptions of the log files that are generated during a Windows installation: http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/...stallation.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

A lot of this depends on where in the XP installation process stopped - and what error messages it generated when it stopped. For example, the infamous 34 minute hiccup has some standard troubleshooting procedures.

Here's a link with descriptions of the log files that are generated during a Windows installation: http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/...stallation.html

VERY nice find :thumbsup:

However it seems the setupact.log is the original from when the OS was installed a couple years back. It must have not made a new log during this install? Even though the GUI part of the install took place for a few minutes.
Here is the last line from it (this seems odd):

SXS Installation Succeed for H:\ROOT\XPHR\I386\asms

The setuperr.log is empty.

Here is the last few lines of setupapi.log, if you would like the whole log just let me know:

#-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup -newsetup
#-290 Processing REGISTERDLLS section [CryptoDlls]. Binary: "%11%\rsaenh.dll", flags: 0x0001, timeout: 60s.
#W374 Digital signature verification was skipped for a file being registered ("C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsaenh.dll").
#-290 Processing REGISTERDLLS section [CryptoDlls]. Binary: "%11%\dssenh.dll", flags: 0x0001, timeout: 60s.
#W374 Digital signature verification was skipped for a file being registered ("C:\WINDOWS\system32\dssenh.dll").
#-290 Processing REGISTERDLLS section [CryptoDlls]. Binary: "%11%\initpki.dll", flags: 0x0001, timeout: 600s.
#W374 Digital signature verification was skipped for a file being registered ("C:\WINDOWS\system32\initpki.dll").

Thanks again so much to everyone helping me with this.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:43 AM

Nothing unusual in the logs, could you post the entire setupapi.log file?

Beyond that, I'd suggest running the repair install again to see if you can catch exactly when it stops.

#15 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

Nothing unusual in the logs, could you post the entire setupapi.log file?

Beyond that, I'd suggest running the repair install again to see if you can catch exactly when it stops.

Yes, I will post it as soon as I get back to the machine.

I already tried the repair again and now it wont allow me to choose repair install no matter if I have OEM or Retail cd in the drive. Is this because the setup did not finish?

I think I am just going to have to perform a massive backup and do a clean install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users