Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow internet connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 glinael

glinael

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:58 AM

hiya!

i'm using windows 2000 and connect to the internet through dial-up. modem is 56k. speed: 36.0 Kbps.

when i browse the net, pages load very slowly and downloading speed never exceeds 3 KB/sec. sometimes less. i tried using internet download manager but it didn't really change much.

i just want to know if it is the best my computer can do? i have a firewall installed, an intivirus, an antispyware... do these programs slow down my connection or something?

i'm from a third world country if it helps any.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:01 AM

I suggest you start with your ISP. Dialups can be horribly slow - really dependent upon your ISP. Did you ever get a better speed? Have you contacted your ISP about the speed issue - what do they say? Have they tested your connection speed?

Also take a look at Slow Computer/Browser

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:39 AM

Dail-up is, given the increased graphical nature of web pages, terribly slow even when operating close to the maximum of 56K. If you are getting, on the average, download speeds significantly lower than this, you can (first and most easily) try to use a different phone number for your connexion (one server might be less busy than another), and second, call your ISP and discuss the issue.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 glinael

glinael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

wow... okay i'll try to see what i can do with my ISP... thank you both so much! haha

oh, and i looked in on Slow Computer/Browser... nice :thumbsup:

#5 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:51 AM

good luck with your ISP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users