Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First IE and then Firefox won't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chalala

Chalala

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:38 AM

I was instructed to create a new topic in this part of the forums. Below is the description of my original post and a link to the rest of the topic.

Just some general info: I am using Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7, and firefox version 3. I am directly connected to a DSL modem (no wireless router). The problem is only occuring on one computer.

My Problem: A couple weeks ago IE suddenly refused to connect to any websites. I ignored it and began using firefox instead. I tried downloading the newest version of Internet explorer, but it too would not connect to any website. Less than one week later, Firefox began exhibiting the same problem. Meanwhile, all other applications seem to have no trouble connecting to the internet (for example, Windows live messenger). I have since been using Real player's web browser and worry that it might soon fail me. I have not installed any new software recently nor am I aware of any out-of-the-ordinary downloads. Does anyone have any idea how a problem like this could occur and seem to spread from browser to browser?

The Error Messages:
(Internet Explorer)
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems
More Information

(Firefox)
Failed to Connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at en-us.start2.mozilla.com.
Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

What I've Tried:
I've disabled all firewalls, uninstalled both browsers and reinstalled them. I've tried running firefox in safe mode, and internet explorer without add-ons. I tried reseting all defaults in both programs also. Nothing I have done seems to have any effect.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/189329/first-ie-and-then-firefox-wont-connect-to-internet/

Edited by Chalala, 03 January 2009 - 01:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chalala

Chalala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:41 AM

Here is the log for my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan:
===================
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1456
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

1/2/2009 10:37:02 AM
mbam-log-2009-01-02 (10-37-02).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 91144
Time elapsed: 22 minute(s), 31 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 15
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{3c2d2a1e-031f-4397-9614-87c932a848e0} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2b96d5cc-c5b5-49a5-a69d-cc0a30f9028c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx.1 (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ModuleUsage\c:/windows/downloaded program files/popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{c9c5deaf-0a1f-4660-8279-9edfad6fefe1} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{e4e3e0f8-cd30-4380-8ce9-b96904bdefca} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{fe8a736f-4124-4d9c-b4b1-3b12381efabe} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{9522b3fb-7a2b-4646-8af6-36e7f593073c} (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs\C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs\C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\RECYCLER\ADAPT_Installer.exe (Heuristics.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#3 Chalala

Chalala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

Should I try scanning with a different program? This hasn't seemed to fix anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users