Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting rid of excess Administrators

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AspenLeaves

AspenLeaves

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:06 AM

For some reason I have an extra Administrator - one of which is spelled wrong - Adminestrator - my kids tell me they didn't add it but I really don't know why it is there. I'd like to delete it. Any problems with that? Also how can I change the drives to come from my other drive. I need to free up space on my C drive to install Adobe software and this is using 11962 mb. I realize I probably can't move everything. Also, for some reason I have a User file which doesn't match my administrator name. This becomes a problem sometimes with HP where I can't find where it puts the scans.

Now, why would that be? What information do you need? What can I do?

At some point I installed Visual Basic but I don't need it - is it safe to delete - I'm not sure what it put on my computer - perhaps Microsoft.net? What is Microsoft SQL Server? How about Microsoft.net? It says it is rarely used in add/remove programs.

Thanks so much!

Edited by AspenLeaves, 03 January 2009 - 01:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:11 AM

That's a lot of questions, and at least you didn't make lots of topics, so thanks ;)

As for the administrator account, you could make it a limited user account, remove any passwords that are on the account and log onto it. The reason we make it a limited user account, is that if there is a virus that is set to start up, the virus creator probably intended for you to take a peak, and with a limited user account editing important files becomes harder.

Microsoft SQL Server is used by some programs for certain features, and if you understand some tech language you can find an explanation at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SQL_Server.
Visual basic is also required by some programs and games, for instance Flight Simulator X requires it before it can install.
Generally you do not need it, and if anything you will install in future does need it then it usually installs automatically with the program/game. However if not it is easily reinstalled manually. But try to avoid uninstalling them.

Many experts would recommend you have at least 15 GB free on your harddrive to ensure optimal speed, but it is much more effective and required for Vista.

If you believe you have a virus or infection then you can redirect yourself to the Am I infected? What do I do? Forum

Or the HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal Forum, with the help of our trained HJT Team.

Temporarily i would suggest you give MalwareBytes Anti-Malware a run through, as well as the ESET Online Scanner (Using IE only); which can be found at http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/ (For the ESET scan ensure your using IE and tick the options "Remove found threats" and "Remove unwanted applications").

I hope i have been of some use to yourself, and will continue to help you if needed. Feel free to PM me :thumbsup:
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#3 AspenLeaves

AspenLeaves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

Thanks. I have XP, we already have run through MalwareBytes and cleaned up everything, I have my firewall now, run adaware and spybots regularly and an online virus scan. I had already checked out the wiki, so I guess I could try to uninstall. I don't have any games installed on here except an old Harry Potter for the kids. I have an older version of ACT that I don't use so I know that required vb. Right now I have two drives - one is a 40gb c drive that has 8 gb left, then I have a d: drive that has 160gb, 80 gb left. There aren't any passwords on the administrator accounts. It's just there. I just don't remember much about handling the administrator accounts.

#4 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:44 AM

Did you try going into the account and looking around with limited permissions to check if there's anything in it? If not then i would advise to do so and then delete it.

I would also suggest on an un-related topic that you migrate as much as you can from the drive with Windows installed to the drive that doesn't which will increase your Speed slightly.

Get back to me with how your doing :thumbsup:
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users