Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory restore or may be re-install!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Liketo_learn

Liketo_learn

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

Due to malware attack, I have decided to reformat my pC. i have a dell computer and have decided to do PC restore.

Any things or pitfalls I need to be aware before proceeding in this direction? Would I be need to activate my XP professional again or would Factory restore take care?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:11 AM

I don't see any pitfalls about it. Just make sure you back up all your data before you do it, even back up email settings if you use outlook express or another email client.

If you are using the manufacturer included restore discs, windows activation is usually taken care of automatically, but if not you will be prompted by windows with instructions to do it easily over the internet.

Also, depending on the age of your computer, the number of windows updates that have been released since then can be a large number. I would recommend installing all the updates available for you before you start installing your other applications again.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:20 AM

You'll most likely need all the disks that came with the computer. The Operating System disk is the most important to you. If you don't have the driver's disk you can go to http://www.dell.com, click on the Drivers and Downloads link and enter your service tag number. That'll get you the drivers that are needed for your system.

If you don't have the Drivers disks, then download the network controller first (on another machine) and copy it to your system. This'll allow network access so you can download the rest straight to your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Liketo_learn

Liketo_learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

Thanks usama and tenz.
Usama, I am going to try the factory restore first. As soon as I do factory restore, I guess I should get my Windows update first and then do other installs (like anti-virus).

If I am doing factory restore successfully, do I still need to get the drivers? or just do the windows update

I have the following disks that came with dell laptop 2 years back,
1) dvd for re-installing dell inspiron computer software (device drivers, diagnostics and utilities)
2) re-install cd for xp profession sp2
3)re-install cyberlink power DVD 5.5 software
4) roxio creator - my dvd combo le

In case, I have to go the manual re-install route, do I need anything else.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

Once you install the Operating System you MUST install drivers - otherwise none of your hardware will be able to effectively communicate with Windows (in particular, you won't be able to get on the Internet to do updates).

To check your drivers, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Anything with a red x or yellow ! will need to have drivers installed before moving on to the next steps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

For further reference
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Liketo_learn

Liketo_learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

thanks. Did factory restore successfully and had to just update my windows.. thx for all your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users