Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cheap gaming computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hometech

hometech

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

having always used intel cpus in everything i`ve worked on , my only experiences of amd were 2 old k7s that were both wonky ;; { i`ve got old 486s ,sx&dx&dx2, that still work fine} but my son needs a new mobo and cpu . well this is what i need, motherboard that accepts ddr2 800 {only requirement so i don`t need to buy ram} and a cpu that is at least as good{better is preferred} as my pentium d 3ghz. here is where i make the leap of faith, i want to go with amd {mostly pricewise but also curious} i will likely buy from newegg.ca{i`m in canada} i don`t know how to link the page but if you go to newegg.ca{not .com} and select amd athlon dual core you get maybe 11 cpus to choose from.this is where i need help ,here`s the address

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.a...thlon%2064%20X2

which of these 8 {forget the 4000s} would make the best?{won`t be overclocking} i seem to remember reading that these cpus were still better than intel for gaming{until the core2 duo} any suggestions???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:46 AM

If it was me, and my mobo would take it, I would go for the 6400+ Brisbane. It's the faster one and has a lot of good reviews from buyers.. But then, I go as fast as I can afford, right now mine is maxed out at 2.4, maybe this year I get a new one... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:49 AM

The AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz is the fastest AMD dual core offered at Newegg. Note that in a few days time the Phenom II will be launched, affecting the prices.

3939.png

#4 hometech

hometech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:18 AM

but what about heat issues? the windsor is 130 watts or so i believe. i think i`ll go with one of the 65 watt ones{i want to stay stock cooling if possible}

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:36 AM

Don't worry too much about the heat, just get an aftermarket cooling solution it works better. AMD would not have released the processors without adequate cooling by their stock coolers. Many of the AMD processors, once they get over a clock speed of about 2.4GHz., are 95W or 125W. The Phenom 8750 Toliman 2.4GHz. processor does operate at 95W. Many socket AM2+ motherboards can be flashed to allow for socket AM3 CPU's when they are released. All of the Phenom II line, along with the yet-to-be-released "Propus" Athlons, with the exception of the quad core Phenom II AM2+ processors and the 945, will operate at 95W. This is due, I hope, to AMD's transition to 45nm.

Edited by DJBPace07, 03 January 2009 - 02:38 AM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users