Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes after starting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Akasha74

Akasha74

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

It starts up ok but once its finished loading I get about 10 secs of use then it completely freezes up, can't access any programs or even the task manager. I have to kill the power supply to turn it off. It will however start up ok in safe mode and can get online with it. Have run MalwareBytes and getting a clean scan. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:03 PM

Does it work in Safe Mode? To get there, repeatedly tap F8 just before the Windows splash screen shows up.
If it works in Safe Mode, check your Event Viewer for errors during bootup and the 10 seconds before it locks.
To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Check for errors in the System and Application log files.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Akasha74

Akasha74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

Ok just did that, admittedly I have no idea what I'm looking at lol. There are lots of events around the time I started in normal mode, however the only oneI found that were marked as an error is this one

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date: 3/01/2009
Time: 3:10:03 p.m.
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: OWNER-639D4F562
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#4 Akasha74

Akasha74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

Found this in the Applications section. Not marked as an error but figured I should put it in here just in case:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: gusvc
Event ID: 0
Time: 3:13:43 p.m.
User: N/A
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( gusvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

Also this one -

Event Type: Information
Event Source: RichVideo
Event ID: 0
Time: 3:13:45 p.m.
User: N/A
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RichVideo ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:08 AM

The DCOM error is fairly common and I don't believe it relates to your issue (especially since this one was from booting into Safe Mode.
The other two are interesting - but I have no idea what to do with them.

Scroll back in the logs to a time when you booted into normal mode and it froze - that'll be the time frame where the error messages are most likely to show us something. If you can't remember what time it was - just boot into normal mode and let it freeze, then boot into Safe Mode and check for errors then.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Akasha74

Akasha74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

I did that, and those are the results which is really frustrating as it doesnt appear to be showing anything relevent. I'm not comp expert but it almost seems like there is a file gone walkabouts that makes everything link together. Then again I could be wrong (which is usually true lol)

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

Most often this type of problem is associated with a hardware issue (when it doesn't show errors) - although there are lot's of excepetions to this.

I'd suggest uninstall your video drivers from Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs, then downloading the latest version from the manufacturer of your video chipset.

I'd also check to make sure that all the fans on your system are working. If this is a desktop system, you may want to try another video card to see if that fixes it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users