Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Failure to Boot!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

I have a major problem with my laptop that just happened. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop 9300 with XP media Center I was editing something in the registry and the next thing I know my computer was messed up. First it was loading really slow and there was no start button or toolbar down the bottom of the screen. I could not access any of the services. I did get into safe mode, but nothing I tried worked. Then upon rebooting I would continue to get the blue screen not allowing my system to boot into windows. I tried to do a repair install, but when it's completed it will not load into windows. I tried pressing f11 during boot-up to access the built in recovery console, but that doesn't seem to be working. I have an XP CD and a re instillation CD. I did get access to the recovery Console with the XP CD. However, it asks me for the administrator password. I don't think I have ever used a password on the computer, if so it was so long ago that I can't remember. What are my options. I don't have much data on the computer, but really want to be able to restore the laptop back to factory settings. Can I delete the C drive partition and reinstall XP. Or can I use the remaining 31 GB free Hard drive space to make a new partition and then reinstall. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

I tried pressing f11 during boot-up to access the built in recovery console,

That's the Ctrl key + F11
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=

If you didn't give it a password, just hit Enter
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

I tried pressing f11 during boot-up to access the built in recovery console,

That's the Ctrl key + F11
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=

If you didn't give it a password, just hit Enter

Thanks so much for your help. The Dell Link explained everything. I was doing the F11 the wrong way. Just have to hold it down and release them together. It restored the Laptop back to it's original state. I am relieved.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:35 AM

Glad it's back up and running
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users