Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Case Control Panels

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:57 AM

What do you think of this hard drive switcher? I was planning on putting Linux on a second HDD. It looks like it works by switching the master and slave jumpers. Does this actually turn one of the hard drives off, or just switch it to slave? Can someone recommend something else?

Also, will this fan speed control or this control work with a thermaltake volcano 7 which already has a speed switch?
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:31 AM

Hey your hd switchor might help the person who is trying to stump me!! What you think brunt? If you ever read it?

#3 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:45 PM

It will work with this one http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-999-216&depa=0 As for a hard drive switch..why? Whenever I get a new hard drive I take all the jumpers off! And make them cable select that way you dont to deal with that! Once you install Linux it will install a bootloader and you will be able to choose from one or the other! I wouldnt waste my money on that!

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:15 PM

All according to the person i guess but yes cable select is better!

#5 HuckerJ

HuckerJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:46 PM

I'm scared of bootloaders! As long as there is a zero percent chance of ruining my h data, I'll do it. So I just put jumpers on cable select, put in linux CD, and linux will put bootloader on the windows (or linux?) hard drive without corrupting windows? Can I set a default drive? Please guide me through this if its not too much trouble. Thanks

Edited by HuckerJ, 11 August 2004 - 02:46 PM.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:07 PM

ok take your hard drives and pull the jumpers off completly and throw em away! If you have windows installed just install Linux on the slave drive! It will auto choose for you. Your first drive will be the one connected to the Fist IDE cable and the slave will be the second part of the IDE. Linux will do all the work for you! No chance in ruining your hard drive data!

#7 HuckerJ

HuckerJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:38 PM

ok.... I'll try it. Thanks

#8 HuckerJ

HuckerJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:30 PM

I did it! I added a 4GB HD and put SuSE linux on it. I ended up buying a book "Linux: in easy steps" which I found to answer most of the questions I had. Thanks again.

#9 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 07:03 AM

Good Job and Good luck On Linux I use SuSe as well. so did ya take the jumpers off?

Just though of this! A 4 gig partition? How much of SuSe did you install? Did you intsall all 4 disc's? Or just the basic's. Also did you update KDE? I know my SuSe take almost 3 gigs without the page file.

#10 HuckerJ

HuckerJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 07:48 AM

I did not take the jumpers off. No jumpers was the slave setting. I moved the jumpers on both HDs to cable select.

I downloaded the one cd version of 9.1 here. It took up about 1.6GB of the drive with everything on the CD installed. I have no clue how to update KDE either. I have v3.2.

Edited by HuckerJ, 14 August 2004 - 07:48 AM.

#11 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 08:20 AM

oh ok! I got the pro edition. Here is how you update KDE

YOU means Y)aST O)nline U)pdate. So fire up YaST and Click on "Online Update". The rest is more or less self-explaning.
You'll see

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:33 AM

Linux im not sure i mean you just went out and got it like that? I have never used it what is its advatages over windows XP or pro?

#13 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:44 AM

Here's a site to explain it all!

http://www.linux.org/

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:46 AM

Thanks ill read it or I am in the middle of it right now!

HEy,
Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus Torvalds with the assistance of.........So I can just download it free??

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 14 August 2004 - 10:47 AM.

#15 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 11:14 AM

Some of them yes( well most) Some of them no. But they are all different and tons of distrubutions! I would read up on before I downloaded it! Adn rememebr since your on dial up! You have to download usually 2 iso files that are around 600 mb's a piece!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users