Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot 'drag n drog' nor 'copy n paste' nor 'cut n paste'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Judeline

Judeline

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

I thought I had a very good idea, so I downloaded 'Avast' and ran it. I killed 65+ viruses/malware/spyware with 12 different names.

Problem is the program gave me the option of repair / move to chest / rename / delete. So I tried repair. Most of the time it didn't work. Then I tried move to chest - debateable. Lastly I tried delete. This must be the most dangerous word in ComputerLand. I assumed (wrongly of course) that the program (Avast) would not allow me to delete key Windows components or maybe Windows XP would prevent it. I was hoping for some error message saying this file was important. No such safeguard, so I carried on deleting. I obviously wasn't thinking straight.

I probably only deleted 5 files but it was enough, obviously, to give me major headaches.

Problems:
1. Cannot copy from one folder to another.
2. Cannot copy and paste, or cut and paste.
3. Cannot click, drag and drop.
4. Taskbar refuses to show open programs.
5. Cannot move 'Quick Launch' icons right/left.
6. Some programs refuse to start. I re-installed most and they now seem okay again, except 'Windows Defender'. With many programs I get the error message = 'Windows Installer Service cannot be run'.
8. Another error is 'RPC Server not running'

Fixes? So far this is what I have done to fix my problem. Well, I tried and it didn't work.
1. I ran C Cleaner and repaired all errors. Searched for all issues - corrected/fixed all errors.
2. Installed and ran Advanced System Care.
3. Installed and ran Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool - hoping there was still another malware causing the problem. No such luck.
4. Installed and ran 'Glare Utilities'. Fixed registry, shortcuts and startup, Windows Systems File Checker (supposed to find the corrupted file and replace it with correct version). Didn't work, not solved any problems.
5. Downloaded SP3, but cannot re-install it. Tried to run it from Microsoft. Errors and problems but no forward motion. Will copy exact error code here when I rerun it.
6. Installed 'Security Task Manager' and running that at the moment.

Obviously I need some DLLs. I have a list of some I found were necessary but I don't know where to put them or even where to get them from (probably Microsoft). This is an option I have not explored yet.

ANY help would be appreciated. In advance Thank you.

Judeline

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

You can try Dial-a-fix

How to use Dial-A-Fix to repair windows internals problems

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to reset windows settings in the event they are damaged. This is useful for repairing many issues with windows installer, windows update, https connections, and many other issues. However, it is a specific tool which is not a cure all. Hardware problems and windows' file integrity should be checked before using DialAFix.

However, it is recomended that you start a topic in the Windows XP Home and Professional forum about your issue before using Dial-A-Fix due to the caveats below.

Caveats:
Users wishing to run DialAFix on their own should read http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#WARNINGS.

The following is an incomplete list of examples of known problems that can cause Dial-a-fix to exaggerate or expose issues on your system:

• Hard drive integrity problems, possibly including but not limited to:
  • Registry entry corruption
  • Filesystem corruption, possibly leading to:
  • System file corruption
  • Registry hive corruption
[*]Memory module failures

[*]Other hardware failures (video card, motherboard, processor, modem, etc)

[*]Use of Dial-a-fix on an unsupported platform (such as Windows XP x64; 32-bit XP with a 64-bit processor is fine, however)

[*]Use of Dial-a-fix with unsupported beta software
[/list]

Also please note that Dial-A-Fix is only for Windows 2000/XP. Use of Dial-A-Fix on Windows 9x (that is, 95, 98, ME) or Windows Vista can have unpredicable results!!

Tools NeededInstructions
  • Before you begin, READ THE CAVEATS ABOVE!!
  • Ensure your system's Date and Time are set correctly. You should also rule out possible hardware failures before using Dial-A-Fix.
  • Download Dial-A-Fix and unzip the files to your desktop.
  • Double click Dial-a-Fix.exe to start the program.
  • Press the green double checkmark box (Looks like this: Posted Image)
  • UNcheck "Empty Temp Folders", as well as "Adjust Time/Date" in the prep section. The prep section should then look like this:
    Posted Image
  • When the window looks like this, press the GO button in the bottom of the window.
    Posted Image
  • Exit/Close Dial-A-Fix

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hopelessgirl

hopelessgirl

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:16 PM

that happened to me too..what I do is just restart my pc
Posted Image

#4 Judeline

Judeline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

Hopeless Girl,
Thank you but in this case that would not have worked, because once these Ďdynamic librariesí have lost their connection and been deleted theyíre gone forever and the computer had no way to find them again.

Garmanma (Mark)
Thank you for your suggestion. It almost worked. It found many of the missing DLLs and replaced them and I got back my bottom scroll bar and some ability to move windows around and it was a lot quicker. But I still could not copy and paste or move files.

In the mean time Avast ran again and came up with a whole new set of infected DLLs. I decided they must go and deleted them. Turned out that was the best thing to do. I again ran Dial a fix and it fixed almost everything again.

I finally caved in and ran my restore CD from Dell and it re-installed Windows up to Service Pack 2. That brought back my ability to move and paste. Now my computer was much too slow. I ran dial a fix again and that cleared up many issues and my computer has been fine since.

I ran Avast again, found more errors and deleted the infected files (hoping that I could replicate the fix if necessary) It seemed to have worked. Then I ran C Cleaner and Advanced Windows Care.

I found a lovely fix on Microsoft's site. They explain how to expand DLLs and showed me a specific fix for the cryptographic component. Iíve been to so many places on both the Dell and Microsoft sites that I donít remember exactly where it is, but it worked.

Finally, I upgraded to Service Pack 3 and installed all the security patches and updates.

Now the only error Iím still getting is sometimes when I install a program it says the ĎGet Runtime Öí DLL is not working. I just donít install that program and will find an answer soon enough. For now Iím done searching. I will continue on regardless.

Thank you for your help and for answering me and also for thinking of a fix that worked.

Judeline[/size]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users