Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

migrate your hdd with xp to new mobo

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hometech

hometech

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

i learned this by having to do it. my sons computer died{mobo i/o fried} and he had alot of video files he didn`t want lost, no problem i thought, slap it in another computer as slave and get the files. well xp must lock them{son marked folders private i guess} so what to do? the hdd came from an ecs via chipset based celeron 2ghz so i put it in a intel chipset based 466mhz hp. and here`s what to do:
1. setup like you are doing a fresh install eg; boot from cd or floppies according to your flavour of xp

2. at first setup screen just continue to install xp ,do not hit repair

3. at the next screen that gives you the options to continue or repair or exit hit repair

4. you will need your cd key for xp

5. you might need to reactivate windows{mine doesn`t need activation ; xp pro sp2 full}

6. all your settings and passwords are intact but might lose all updates as the repair deletes system files

7. in this case he has lost the use of programs and games due to the hardware downgrade but all files are intact and as soon as the new parts arrive i will repeat the process

this worked just fine and my sons xp works fine in the old computer, now off to newegg or tiger direct for new mobo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users