Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constantly re-ocurring adware/malware/spyware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 waxbeetle3

waxbeetle3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

A few days ago I was just browsing the forums I usually do, and my PC was running abnormally sluggish. I checked my Processes to see what was causing the slowdown and there was a random process using like 800 megs of my memory. My ignorance caught me, and I didn't think much of it or bother to write down what the process was named. I just decided to close it right away, then following that came a series of pop ups that were small in the top left hand corner of my screen, about 5 of them popped up. They appeared to be Internet Explorer windows (I use firefox), and they were blank.
It erased all my system restore points also.

After I closed all those, a little window popped up telling me my PC was infected and needed to have a scan from some bogus anti-virus program they were advertising (once again, my ignorance caught me and I didn't get the name of the program). Afraid if I clicked no, it would infect me father than it already has, I shutdown the process it was running under. So, my first instinct was to scan in safe mode with the anti-virus programs I have.

I did full scans with the following: Avira Anti-vir, Spybot: Search and Destroy, Spyware doctor, Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

I unplugged my internet, turned off system restore (incase some files hid in those), restarted into safe mode, scanned with one, deleted whatever it found, restarted, and did the same thing again until I scanned with all of them.
I had assumed that whatever they found, was probably all of my problem, since there appeared to be a lot. I scanned once again with all of them to assure it doesn't re-occur when I restart. They all found nothing afterwards. So I plugged my internet back in, started into normal mode, and It seemed to be fine again, until about 5 minutes later when the 5 internet explorer windows popped up again. I've been in this situation ever since.

Every 30 or so minutes, the 5 windows will pop up, on occasion a window will pop up that tells me to "install antivirus 2009", so I looked up removal instructions for "antivirus 2009". All of the instructions were to use a program i've already used to scan, or to manually remove the program. So I decided to take the manual route. I read all the instructions in detail, only to find the registry keys and files that it says to delete aren't actually there.

On occasion I will also get a blank window pop-up labeled "Microsoft Internet Explorer", the icon for the window will be whatever browser i'm using at the time. If i'm using safari, I'll get a safari icon, if i'm using firefox, i'll get a firefox icon.

I've scanned with these programs multiple times. Every time I scan, they find more and more infected files or issues, even after I just cleaned my system with the programs.

It feels like i've tried everything and I can't stand having my computer infected because it's affecting my performance. I've looked up many different solutions for manual removal of this antivirus2009 and they never really work.

I'll post my hijackthis log here for someone to help out and maybe shed some light on exactly what's going on with my PC.

I hope this story has been detailed enough for one of you guys to be able to diagnose me with something, and help with a solution, because at this point i'm pretty desperate.

Attached Files

Edited by waxbeetle3, 02 January 2009 - 06:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:02 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a description of your problem, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.

If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results, click no to the Optional_Scan
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

R,
K
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

Should you need it reopened, please contact a Forum Moderator. Include the address of this thread in your request.

If you have a new issue, please start a New Topic.

This applies only to the original poster. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users