Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing the booting sequence

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saw46

saw46

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

I thought that I was all prepared to do a clean install of XP pro on my Dell Dimension 4100 which currently runs on ME, but have run into a problem because I have to boot the installation program from a CD instead of a floppy. Support article on Dell site, (only support available for my 10 year old machine)
explains how to do this but isn't working for me. I can get into the BIOS setup and go to BOOT, but the instructions say "highlite the CDROM from list and press F6 or + key to move entry up" and nothing happens when I do this. Please....any advice appreciated. Even the service that you pay for at Dell says that it doesn't include working with anything Win2000 or older.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

Is this the screen you're seeing?
Dimension 4100 Boot Settings

If so, highlight the 1st Boot Device entry. Press the Enter key then use the up and down arrow keys to choose the boot device. Press Enter again to confirm the setting and then press the F10 key to save and exit the setup program. The computer will reboot and load the CD drive first.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 02 January 2009 - 05:27 PM.

#3 saw46

saw46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

Amazing Andrew.....a million thanks! I now have it and I am forever grateful.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:03 PM

Excellent! That'll be 4 cookies and a cup of coffee, please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users