Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP virus please help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bagels

Bagels

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

I have windows xp with sp3. I have malwarebytes, adaware, and f-secure. I had symantec before. My infected computer is a laptop. I'm currently on another computer.

Last week i had prunnet.exe and some other viruses that I removed. I had symantec corporate edition and for some reason it was deactivated. It would not reactivate even though i had it enabled and something disabled my windows firewall. I searched online after seeing prunnet which seemed out of place in the task manager. They kept coming back so I searched online and then downloaded malwarebytes to remove it. After doing that I assumed it was clean. The next day it came back again, so I removed my symantec and went with f-secure which i get free with my isp. First i ran the online check and removed the viruses before I installed f-secure. Then i ran a full system scan and after 3 hours I thought it was gone. I ran Malwarebytes a few more times and eventually nothing else came up.

Now here is whats happening, when i load windows normally it starts up and then after about 10 seconds i get the blue screen that says a probelm has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer......Technical information: Stop: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005,0xee7ca21d, oxba3377ec, 0x0000000) Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

So now i restart in safe mode, when i run malwarebytes it eventually freezes up and it never completes a scan, I get some window popup that says windows will be restarting with a countdown.

I have no clue what to do, im not very computer savy, It wont even let me reboot to an earlier time with system restore. I need to know if there is anyway i can save my files, clean my computer, and protect it in the future.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bagels

Bagels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

Now i can run malwarebytes on a quick scan and it completes, and i am currently running a full scan. (All in safe mode w/o networking)

I still get the blue screen when i go on windows normal mode. I have no clue what to do. Does anyone have any advice?

The virus i had when malwarebytes scanned in quick mode was vundo. I see its a common problem with alot of people, but i havent seen anyone post about the same blue screen i get, Mine went beyond just the pop ups and eventually led to the blue screen which is all i get now.

Update: I contacted dell to see if i could get help with the blue screen issue, i went into comand prompt in safe mode and disabled all startup programs. Now i can run windows normally without the blue screen.

Please someone give me advice on what to do to clean my system or at least tell me where to start. Thank you for any help!

Edited by Bagels, 02 January 2009 - 06:42 PM.

#3 Bagels

Bagels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

The dell people told me to scan with windows live onecare.live.com? Does this sound like a good idea? Will this even work if my 2 antivirus programs and malwarebytes havent helped so far?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users