Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

temps, good or bad?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hometech

hometech

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

Hi am new here and was wondering about temperatures in my "new" build. i am on a tight budget{who isn`t} and decided to upgrade from the p1`s i was playing with. long story short, three mobo`s later{1st i fried, 2nd was junk, 3rd time`s the charm} i seem to have finally come up with a problem free machine. i mounted everything in an old steel case {circa 98} and would hate to have to deal with the after effects of heat. my hardware is as follows:
Cpu=Pentium D 925 @ 3ghz 95watts
MB= Asus P5B-VM DO with 2 GB ram
HDD= WD 160GB Sata 2
PS= Mushkin 650 watt
it also has a floppy,cd&dvd. So i tried Seti@home and 10 min later cpu is 67C MB is 54C HDD is 36C They seemed a little high so i did a little creative modification{with a drill,plastic waterbottle and an old cpu fan} Now i run Seti@home and 1hr later my temps are CPU is 50C MB is 44C HDD is 28C So i let it run for 6hrs and none of the temps moved more than 1 or 2 degrees{up & down}Seti@home keeps my cpu 50% to 60% active all the time and i was wondering if i have achieved a cool running machine or do i need to take further steps?{my computer also sits directly on top of a heat vent but the temps only rise 1 degree when the heat blows} Everything is stock.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

I'd say your temperatures are fine. What kind of thermal paste are you using between your heatsink and processor? I remember my friend had a Pentium D and it ran pretty hot too.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

Decent temps for a 95 watt CPU, extraordinary temps if it was one of the 130 watt models.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 hometech

hometech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

i used artic silver liberally. i knew pds ran hot so made sure i got the 95 watt instead of the 130 watt. good to know someone else thinks my temps ok. thanks

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

It is recommended to actually use a small amount of thermal paste. Too much will negate its effect. I usually take my finger and smooth it out enough that if I smoothed anymore, the bare top of the processor would show (you don't want the bare processor to show though).
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 hometech

hometech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

yeah thats how i did it, i meant compared to the bare min. i`ve seen time and again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users