Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hanging up with ME

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sawbandit

sawbandit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:39 AM

HI

running ME on a Pakard Bell system. At start up all the normal noises come from it at the start then some beeping after it stops beeping the screen shows it runing through the start up and comes up with the ME start screen but then jumps to scandisk. it shows it already running when it opens and doesnt let you stop it by mouse or keyboard. I have tried a few different keyboard and mice. if you can help or give me somewhere to look :thumbsup:

thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:02 AM

I would download the image for and create a Win98SE boot (EBD) disk and use that as a DOS boot troubleshooting aid. Or one for ME...

First step is to make sure the pointing device and keyboard are properly connected. Then boot and have the BIOS entry key (DEL, ESC, Control, F1, F2, F10, F12, whatever it is on the model) down. In BIOS, make sure the keyboard and/or mouse are properly activated and that you can navigate BIOS with the keyboard. Make sure the floppy (and the CDROM) is set to boot before the HD.

Boot to the floppy and see if you can enter ordinary text at the command line. If you have any problems with this, try another keyboard. If there are further problems making any PS/2 keyboard work, connect and try a USB keyboard, and reboot, enter BIOS, and turn on 'legacy' USB as well as all USB on the MB. Any further KB problems are signs that the clock is tolling on that Cinderella box doorstop and you'll need a new PC (hope you get a real one this time instead of a PB...).

If you have a WinME boot floppy or can boot to the WinME CDROM, you can then run scandisk and scanreg from DOS to examine your OS.

Good luck with the PC and OS you're using...
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users