Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about a Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:29 PM

OS- Windows XP
Antivirus- AVG
Spyware Scanners- AdAware and Spyware Blaster
Firewall- None. I was too lazy to install Zone Alarm. I just did it today though

So last night I get a warning pop-up from AVG (my anti-virus) saying that an infection was found. There were a few of them. I chose heal. At least 1 of them, it couldn't heal. Here is a picture:

Posted Image

Now I am getting pop-ups like that one on the top of the page.

I tried going to "c:\documents and settings...." but there was nothing there.

I go to run and type in "msconfig" to check the start up and I find this. I highlighted what I think are bad.

Posted Image

I go to C:\WINDOWS\system32 and I don't see any of those files there.

Posted Image

I type in "regedit" and go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run but I find caca (nothing).

Now I'm gonna download windows defender (I heard that program was good) and I'll tell you how it works out. But without any anti-spyware program, shouldn't I be able to remove or at least FIND these infected files manually? This bothers me. It's the principle. Even if windows defender fixes them.

And BTW- I have "show hidden folders" turned ON. So that's not a problem. I checked windows task manager (Ctr Alt Del) and I don't see any new process that seems to stand out. Well I'm off to work on this problem and I will let you know of any updates.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

Now I'm gonna download windows defender (I heard that program was good) and I'll tell you how it works out. But without any anti-spyware program, shouldn't I be able to remove or at least FIND these infected files manually? This bothers me. It's the principle. Even if windows defender fixes them.

I like the fighting spirit, but I doubt you remove this with Windows Defender, recommend you our Hijackthis and Malware removal forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users