Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to download

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 looksharpe

looksharpe

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:14 PM

I am having some problems with downloading. My internet runs fine and fast except for certain things like downloads where the box comes up and asks you to save or open, myspace music players will only load certain songs and some criteria search boxes will just keep loading. This all works fine when the same internet connection is put into my laptop. I have tried disabling my firewall (avast) and cleaning all the temporary internet files and cookies and ran a virus scan which returned nothing. It has been suggested to me that I should repair windows using the xp disk but I don't want to risk losing all my files so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Those three things seem to be the only things affected.

One thing I may be able trace this back to was uninstalling download accelarator plus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

Good you remember how it started.

Could you give some more info like the version of your IE, and if you uninstalled download accelerator plus and removed all its files and folders, is there anything left from that software?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

FWIW: Repairing XP via a MS XP install CD...does not ordinarily jeopardize any files other than critical updates which are more current than the XP version contained on the CD used to do the repair.

All data files, programs installed, and settings remain functiona, normally.

Louis

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

Windows repair install does not do any harm to your own personal files. It does require updating windows.

I find it a bad advise. Problems with IE should be resolved within IE first. Then there are other solutions prior to taking such a radical step as repairing Windows.

#5 looksharpe

looksharpe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

Well this happens on both firefox and ie so I have tried reinstalling firefox ut the same thing happened.

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:24 PM

What is your IE version?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users