Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cartmansdad

cartmansdad

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

Hi

I have a friend who is running a pc with XP SP2. He had his wireless connection open and has had no virus software on the pc for many months.
When I was there i password protected his network and installed AVG.

When i first turned on his pc it went to the windows loading screen and just as it was about to go to the welcome screen it froze with a black screen for a few seconds then the welcome screen turned on. During the day these few seconds of black screen turned to mins then it just stuck on the black screen before the windows welcome screen.

He told me that all was fine before I touched it and the black screen was always there for several seconds before it booted????? All i physically did was set his router to WPA and installed AVG.

I was thinking his LOGINUI.exe had been corrupted by some sort of virus ( he had over 200 viruses and spyware) but as he doesnt have an XP disc I couldnt think of any other way of fixing it. I could boot in safe mood and it would be ok but not in normal mode.

Anyone got any ideas ????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:19 AM

This is a common problem, when a tech or more educated member steps in to help a person, things go wrong and they get blamed. It is possible that when you removed the viruses with AVG, a system file was infected and it removed it.
If you can not get onto the computer to fix it then may i suggest phoning up Microsoft or the computers Manufacturer to get assistance from there.

Sorry i couldn't be more useful, however when the computer is not accessible its very hard to fix most problems.
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

If you are ok in safe mode but not normal mode then I would suspect the culprit is a driver. One method to fix is to try going into msconfig (click start->run, then type msconfig then hit enter) and disable all non-critical startup items, enabling them one by one on each reboot which should help locate the problem driver. In general, keeping all drivers up-to-date is a grand idea.

Regarding hardware drivers in particular, have a look at this:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

Failing that, you could consider looking into simple hardware issues. Is the video card properly seated? Have you done a memory check?

HTH :thumbsup:

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:04 PM

Well...if you suspect system file corruption...why not run sfc /scannow, to replace any damaged/missing system files?

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

As for the absence of an XP CD...you can always use any MS XP CD to repair/install, as long as it's the same version (Home or Pro) and the SP level is at least the same as that existing on the system. You cannot use a CD which only runs thru SP1 or SP2...to run sfc /scannow or do a repair install on a system that is at a SP3 level.

Louis

#5 cartmansdad

cartmansdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

OK

thanks for your help, its gonna be a month or so before i see him now but i will head back to here when i go back to his place.

thanks again

:thumbsup:

#6 cartmansdad

cartmansdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

Hi again

Got my mates pc at my house now, I tried turning it on but all it does is gets to the win xp logo and then goes black and keeps looping doing this. I cannot get onto his pc in safe mode

I have tried changing the graphics card and have taken out the ram which was covered in dust and replaced it but still the same black screen even in safe mode.

As i explained in the first post, he doesnt have his xp cd and he has photos on his pc that he needs to keep as he has no hard copy

It seems to me that when some of the virus were removed they may have taken some of the sys files with it.

Any suggestions would be gratefull.

If I cant do anything else would it be possible to to hook his hdd up to my pc and save his photos that way before i attempt a complete reinstall???

thanks in advance

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

You can install it and should be able to access their files, if the hdd itself isn't the problem. If this is a PATA hdd you will need to connect it as a Slave drive to the other set as Master.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 cartmansdad

cartmansdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:04 AM

Ok

I hooked the HDD to my pc and found the drive which wasnt corrupt, which meant i could transfer his photos to disc. looks like some of the viruses had attacked windows and taken some system files when i rebooted.

Looks like i now need to reinstall windows and upgrade his memory due to him only having 256mb

thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:32 AM

I had this problem last week by an older Acer computer. It froze like 5 times with a black screen when welcome should come up, but sometimes booted normal. It was a very nasty file infector-infections. But after cleaning, files were so corrupted that a repair was not possible. You can however try to boot from windows installation cd and do a repair installation. 256 MB Ram is not much, but does not cause problems (unless running Ram-demanding software). Upgrade is good, but will not solve this problem.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users