Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

combofix appears to have killed my computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 exoskelliton

exoskelliton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:25 AM

"Always disregard any warnings issued by software authors" NOT a good policy. After running Combofix under adverse conditions and ignoring the recommendations made by the application, I now am the proud owner of an Intel dual core door stop.
Has anyone got an idea about what has been killed off, the thing will not even POST, or bleep, it just sits there with its one green eye glowing at me,,,, accusingly. Could it be that the bios has been wiped? or the processor zapped? any help or observations (with limited sarcastic content), greatly appreciated.
regards
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:08 AM

Yes, warnings are provided for a reason and those who ignore them, can pay a heavy price in some circumstances.

Discussion pertaining to how Combofx works, what it can or cannot do, is not available to the public in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. As such, the developer does not want his tool discussed outside of private forums and therefore we cannot answer specific questions.

However, I can say that any issues with the Bios or processor are not the result of using CF.

Did you install the Recovery Console before using?

Can you boot up in "Safe Mode"? If so, try his:

How to peform a System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 apocalypticgirl

apocalypticgirl

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

I'm not sure, but if you aren't getting a beep when it loads, that sounds like a problem with either the motherboard or the memory. You can try swapping your memory to another slot to see if that helps, otherwise I'm really not sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users