Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Update error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sock Monster

Sock Monster

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:55 AM

My former roommate called me this evening regarding his Windows Vista system.
The problems encountered were:
1. On startup, the welcome screen is shown for a few seconds.
2. After a time period of 5-10 seconds, the login prompt is replaced by a "Configuring Updates: Step 3 of 3, 0% complete" message.
3. 10-15 seconds later, the system shows the "Shutting Down" message.
4. Computer shuts down.
5. Safe mode is attempted by user, however the system merely repeats steps 1-4.

Help would be appreciated regarding the matter.
I think it may be a failure in installing one of Windows Vista's updates causing the problem at hand.

As for his system, it is an Acer Aspire 4520 notebook, one year old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:27 PM

The first step would be to attempt a Startup Repair: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sock Monster

Sock Monster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:32 AM

Startup Repair and System Restore have already been attempted, to no avail.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

Check out this article to help locate errors in the Windows Update logfile: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Sock Monster

Sock Monster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:12 AM

We're not able to do that, since Windows won't even start at all, not even in Safe Mode.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:37 AM

You can use the Startup Repair disk to access the Command Prompt.
In the Command Prompt you can locate the file and read it by using the "type" command.

But, in general, fixing a Windows Update error will not cause your system to boot properly.
Startup Repair will fix most fixable errors - and will give you an error code when it doesn't. What was the error code?

#7 Sock Monster

Sock Monster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

There was no error code.

Startup Repair went on properly and finished, but the problem remained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users