Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtek High Definition Audio driver problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 princess-bluey

princess-bluey

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:54 AM

HELP PLEASE!!!
I am having problems with my Asus F3SC notebook. EVERY time I turn on the computer, I discover that there is a big red X on the speaker symbol on my task bar. I then have to go into control panel, system and maintenance, device manager and either update or reinstall the drivers for Realtek High Definition Audio. My speakers and microphone are working and it is not muted. This is driving me crazy! How do I fix this problem???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

Always it is handy to know how it started. What was the major change prior to the the problem? Updating, installing software, etc. What causes the driver to get uninstalled like that? And why the driver service doesn't get started by itself?

#3 princess-bluey

princess-bluey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

I've been having different assorted problems with the notebook and with vista. I stupidly accidently unistalled the built in microphone, as there was a feedback squeal everytime I opened the lid when the computer was 'sleeping'. I have been trying to fix it by downloading driver detective, but it wouldnt do what it was supposed to do, ie: it didnt fix the problem, so when I uninstalled it, I ended up with an additional set of problems!!!

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

Have you checked if the (build in) audio-device in the BIOS set up is enabled?
Have you tried to disable the (build in) Microphone in the BIOS?

In the BIOS you may look for on-board devices and see what is listed there.

#5 princess-bluey

princess-bluey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:17 AM

Ok, here's what I've done today:

I found a disk in the filing cabinet marked Asus F3 Notebook series Driver & Utility Ver 2.0. I have installed it. Hooray, sound is working! :inlove:

Norton Anti-virus also installed, so must have been part of the programming on the disc. Computer crashed! :trumpet:

So I restarted computer in safe mode & did a system restore point from when I knew the computer did actually work properly. So far so good! :thumbsup:

As you may or may not have figured out, I'm a newbie at this, we've only had the computer for about 8 months, so it's been a steep learning curve, I haven't had any formal training as yet, its a bit of a struggle, but I've managed to fool my family into thinking I know what I'm doing, as I've 'accidentally' stumbled upon solutions to a couple of problems we've had! :flowers:

Edited to add:
PS: I'm no spring chicken like you guys & gals either!

Edited by princess-bluey, 03 January 2009 - 04:20 AM.

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:41 AM

when you try to update the driver in device manager tell it to scan the cd and install the drivers fromt it or i bet theres a setup file some where in the folder of the cd where it just installs the sound drivers
and cant you make it so it dont install norton like theres a part of the install where you pick what you want to install

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users