At any point during a call, my entire connection goes down for my PC (wireless node on a two computer network, through a router). It is back up within a few seconds. This only happens when I am using VoIP, and am in a call
I have had the same telecom and ISP for two years, with excellant up-time. My original PC, running XP, had zero
problems with connectivity.
Two weeks ago, I installed a new PC and have started having problems. The call I'm in, and anything else I am using (e.g - an online game / IE), will drop in connection for a brief moment. This has occured anytime between 10mins and 2.5hours.
Here is a list of some things that I am using:
- Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
- Intel. Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33Mhz
- 4096 MB RAM
- 768 MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600GS
- Netgear DG834G router
- Belkin G wireless adapter
- AVG Free anti-virus
- Spybot (tea timer)
- Windows messenger
- Skype (and Skype beta)
- World of Warcraft (and it's built-in VoIP)
NB: I live in N. Somerset, SW England.
Here is a list of things I have tried:
- Opened the ports that Skype / World of Warcraft requires in both incomming and outgoing traffic on my router
- Checked that Skype / Messenger are allowed through the Windows firewall
- Disabled Windows firewall
- Disabled Windows Defender
- Disabled AVG Free's resident scanning
- Disabled Spybot
- Disabled Windows' UAC
- Disabled automatic updates
- Updated to the latest GPU, Network and Ac'97 sound drivers
- Have Service pack 1 and all the (that are available on the MS site) updates installed
- Installed Skype to another directory other than 'programsx86' - I installed to a 'public' folder, where my World of Warcraft is also
- Given Skype Admin' rights (I am the computers admin', and sign-in as such)
- Changed various network settings, such as 'private' or 'public' etc
- Ran a registry clean
- Ran an anti-virus scan
- Ran a disc check
- Ran away, as fast I could!
My Belkin wirless adapter is new; I used a Netgear one before, but have lost the drivers for it. I also haven't upgraded the router's firmware yet. Other than that, I have no idea what to do, and it is very disheartening.
Help is very, very much appreciated. :'(