Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't Install ActiveX

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:57 AM

I'm dealing with AT&T DSL. I know I shouldn't, but it was the least expensive DSL I could find. It's DSL light and it is only ten dollars a month. (Yes, I get what I pay for, but at least it's faster than dial-up.)

Anyway, when I went to its site to troubleshoot my pc's dsl connection, it attempted to install an active x. I clicked "allow" and waited.

The next popup was a window telling me that, even though I want the stupid .cab installed, Windows Security blocked its installation because Windows Security could not verify the publisher. Well, I happen to trust that AT&T will not install an Active X that will harm my pc.

I lowered all the security settings that I could, but I still cannot install the .cab. (I do have a really wonderful banner across the top of my IE7 page that tells me my security settings have placed my pc at risk.) As for contacting AT&T technical support...

I tried using Mozilla, but AT&T doesn't have it working on that browser.

My pc is a Dell Inspiron 600m with Windows XP SP2. Internet Explorer 7. 1GB RAM. 1.70GHz Processor.

How do I get the darn .cab file to be installed? No, there is no option to save it first.

Catherine

By the way, when I chatted with AT&T technical support, the agent asked if I had a program installed called "Windows Security". If so, I needed to diable it.

Edited by Cassiopeia, 02 January 2009 - 04:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:48 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Typically, if your IE 7 security settings have not been adjusted...you should get a notification anytime a website attempts to install an ActiveX control. This is a security measure, by design.

In every case that it happens to me, I just have to look up to the top, where a bar indicates that I should click on it if I want to allow such installation. Once I elect such option, the ActiveX installs.

http://www.jayceooi.com/2007/05/25/how-to-...plorer-ie6-ie7/

From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms649487(VS.85).aspx :

Microsoft ActiveX: Internet Explorer 7 disables all ActiveX controls that are not used in Internet Explorer 6. When users encounter an ActiveX control for the first time, a gold bar is displayed that asks if they want to use the control. Users can choose whether to allow the control to run or to prevent the control from running.

Note By default, the ActiveX Opt-in does not apply to Intranet and Trusted Site zones; new controls on those zones and preapproved controls run without prompting.

Louis

#3 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:13 AM

sorry hamluis

Edited by Zllio, 02 January 2009 - 09:14 AM.

#4 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

Thanks, hamluis. Normally your responses are quick resolutions to problems. This time, it appears you misunderstood my problem.

I know how to allow an Active X to be installed. Windows Security is blocking this ONE instance because the publisher cannot be verified.

I have never had an issue installing an Active X by clicking the extra bar at the top regarding the risks of doing so, but this time Windows Security did block it. That is why I chatted with AT&T three times this morning and then came to the forum.

What happened to the third post in this topic?

Edited by Cassiopeia, 02 January 2009 - 09:20 AM.

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:16 AM

Hi Cassiopeia,

Here's a bit more:

My experience with AT&T DSL has been good, so I think you're wanting to either test your connection because your connection is unstable or because it's not delivering the speeds you want. You can test your speed using Firefox here: http://www.speedtest.net/

The problem with the Active X downloading or not may be due to your settings. To check this, open Internet Explorer and go to Tools and Internet Security. Click on the Security tab and then click on the cusomize button at the bottom. In the small window that opens up, check to see that all your Active X options are set either to enable or to Prompt. Click on ok. Close Internet Explorer and open it again.

Also, is your Internet Explorer fully updated with the most recent service pack 3? If not, I would recommend first seeing if you can get the update to download. The update is normally part of automatic updates. You have to use Internet Explorer and be an administrator. If you don't have your computer set ot accept automatic updates, you can have them checked manually by going to the following site and linking to their installation tool. First (using Internet Explorer) go to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads.../windowsxp.mspx

Once there, scroll down to the "Use Windows Update with Automatic Updates" section and look at the end of that small section of three short paragraphs for the link "Windows Update Site". Click on that. This should bring you to a window that will give you a choice of custom installation or express installation. Click on the custom button and allow it to scan your computer for any missing updates.

Let me know how this goes.

Zllio

#6 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:41 AM

The pc I'm using as the troubleshooter is up-to-date on updates and such. I have two pcs, but not both are connected to the internet through a hub or router. I connect each one when I want to use it online.

The problem I was attempting to troubleshoot is sporadic service. (I just considered that it might be the "modem" from AT&T, as it is refurbished.)

I subscribe to Big Fish Games. When downloading a game, the download is interrupted EVERY TIME. It took me a day to download one game because of the interruptions. I can't leave the pc to download alone, I have to watch to retry the download. If I wait too long, the download will start from the beginning.

The service speed is never constant. At times, it is as slow as dial-up and at other times, it is at the speed it should be. If it were routed or hubbed, I would blame it on the other pc's use of the service. I can deal with its normal speed because it's what I purchased.

The speed test only tells me how fast it is running at the time. I prefer using Firefox over IE. The speed test tells me that it runs faster in Firefox. However, that is only the speed at that point in time. Of course, since I'm able to connect to the internet, the service is up.

I went to Bellsouth's troubleshooting page and it wanted to install an Active X to test the speed. That is the Active X Windows Security blocked. (Bellsouth is now owned by AT&T.) The Active X also included some troubleshooting steps and diagnostic tools.

I went into the security settings and set everything as low as I could and clicked enable or prompt on nearly every setting. It still was not enough for Windows Security to install the Active X. (Yes, I closed IE after changing the settings.)

So, that is the whole scenario. I simply want to know how to force Windows Security to permit the installation of the Active X since I know I am at a trustworthy site.

#7 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:24 AM

Hi Cassiopeia,

A few more questions ...

I'm sorry to ask this, but what do you mean with Windows Security? You've used the term Windows Security and you said the ATT customer service agent used the same term, but I'm not sure if you are referring to a specific program or to something with the operating system or with internet explorer. When you say "That is the Active X Windows Security blocked", what program are you referring to which did the blocking?

One thing I should have thought to ask you right away is which security software you're using in terms of antivirus and firewall. How long have you had ATT dsl and have you tried borrowing a modem from someone else to see if it might be the modem.

Secondly I want to know if this is a problem which has occurred during the holidays or if it started before the holidays. Internet connections during holidays are often eratic, because the usage deviates from the norm so much. Thirdly, I wanted to ask if you're using IE7 and if so, if you have the phishing filter turned on or off. Is the popup blocker turned off? Do you have Windows Defender and if so is it turned off?

If you go into Internet Explorer / Tools / Internet Options and select the Content tab, is the top item of that page set as activated? If it's activated, can you deactivate it? If not, can you tell me what the settings there are?

Zllio

#8 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

I have had DSL Light from AT&T since November. If it had recently appeared, I would have attributed it to the Holiday. As for borrowing another modem, I don't have anyone to ask. I just moved to Florida, hate it here, and haven't made any friends.

The Windows Security is Windows Security. You know that stupid shield icon in the corner next to the network connection icon and the bluetooth icon? The shield icon that turns red if the firewall is disabled or if automatic updates is disabled.

Windows Security is Windows Security. I have no idea how to explain it otherwise. After I click the link for the Active X to be installed, a window appears that reads "Windows Security" has blocked the installation of the following ... because the publisher cannot be verified.

My firewall and my antivirus on this pc is AVG Personal. My firewall on the other pc is Windows Security and my antivirus is AVG Free.

Content Advisor is disabled.

Cass

Edited by Cassiopeia, 02 January 2009 - 11:09 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

Just as an aside, our advice at work (to AT&T customers) is to not use their software. It causes too many problems (at least in my area).
Rather, we suggest contacting AT&T tech support and having them walk you through a "manual network setup". This sets up your DSL the way that Windows wants it - rather than the way that AT&T's software does it (which doesn't always work right).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

I just wanted to know how to get past the windows security blocking the installation of an active x. I changed the security settings in IE and I changed the settings in windows firewall. It still blocks it.

It's not just getting that one to work: it's how do I install an active x that windows is blocking.

#11 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:59 AM

Hi Cassiopeia,

I think what you are referring to with the icon in the lower right-hand corner of your screen is the Windows Security Center. Please be sure you do not have two firewalls activated by going to Start / Control Panel / Windows Firewall and making sure the Windows Firewall is turned off. If you are using AVG's security suite, then you have a firewall, and you don't need the Windows Firewall activated.

Also, make sure that Windows Defender is not running.

The following link is about the settings which may lead to this error. http://www.windowsreference.com/security/w...-the-publisher/

It may be that you will need to get ATT to give you a more specific answer about this problem. From what Usama said, it sounds like a problem they will have heard about before.

Zllio

Edited by Zllio, 04 January 2009 - 05:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users