Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Introduction

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlphaCentauri

AlphaCentauri

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

Hi, I don't have any current problems to post about. I'm just registering mostly since I've used this userID on other forums, so I might as well claim it before someone else does. ;)

My main interest in computer security is as an anti-spammer, or "anti" as the spammers call us. I was a regular at Castlecops.com until it was put down. I'm still a regular at the Firetrust forums. I'm most active at the KS Forums (Kill Spammers forums, previously at thecarpcstore.com), but they're not currently publicly visible because of spammer retaliation. Our SpamWiki is still public at http://spamtrackers.eu/wiki .

I found bleepingcomputer.com from Googling things I find in task manager to find out what they are and why they feel they need to launch themselves every time my computer boots. :thumbsup:

Malware and spam have become very closely related. The majority of spam (in terms of total emails sent) is sent from hijacked computers and is being hosted on hijacked servers. It often is advertising links to sites that will download a trojan to help make your computer another zombie in their botnet, like an electronic Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

There is a massive potential for profit from this. The same computer used to host a scam pharmacy might also host a phishing site to steal credit card numbers and banking passwords. And a botnet of these computers can be used to attack other websites -- maybe to try to shut down antispam sites like KS and Castlecops, but also to extort money from commercial businesses or even to gain military advantage, as happened when computers all over Russia participated in distributed denial of service attacks against computers in Georgia in advance of the Russian invasion of that republic.

Because spammers are in it for the money and we "antis" are mostly volunteers, a lot of us feel the most effective long term solution is to help other computer users educate themselves about the criminal nature of spam and the websites it advertises, so potential victims are less easily deceived by spammers. I'll just put a plug in here to ask everyone to do some reading in places like the SpamWiki to find out what the risks are and how to avoid them, so you don't inadvertently aid criminals by allowing them the use of your computer.

I very much appreciate the information available on bleepingcomputer.com, which has helped me out so many times.

Edited by KoanYorel, 17 January 2009 - 02:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:14 AM

Hello there AlphaCentauri, welcome to the Bleeping Computer fold. It's good to see you here. :thumbsup:

#3 AlphaCentauri

AlphaCentauri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

KS forums is public again :D http://ksforum.inboxrevenge.com If you've found something nasty on your computer and want to let us know where you got it, we work on taking down spamvertised and malicious websites as well as educating people how to avoid their computer becoming one of the zombies mailing and hosting all this crap.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 nospam

nospam

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:37 AM

Welcome, AC. I am about as new as you are to posting on BleepingComputer. I am a Castlecops refugee as well, so it is good to bump into Castlecops' regulars on these great forums.

There is fine information to be found here. I believe I first stumbled upon bleepingcomputer back in 2005 or so, but I did not sign up. I just would google malware like you from time to time and land here and follow the well informed instructions (usually helping others with their infections).

This week, it was my turn. I got the real-av.org virus on a company computer (don't know how it happened) but it was disabling the internet access and my AV /firewall software. That virus was very hard to get rid of, but I managed to find some great info here and elsewhere that helped me get rid of it after numerous scans.

Yes, check out, http://ksforum.inboxrevenge.com/ there is very valuable information there about spamming, malware, phishing, etc. When one signs up, one can view more forums.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users