Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVI graphics won't work, but VGA ok

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:51 AM

Hi everybody,

First off, my motherboard is a ASUS M2A-VM , with a AMD Athlon X2 3800+ CPU, along with 2GB ram.

Today when I turned on my computer, it made "some noise", sounded like a clicking-ish sound, then the system shut off completely. Pressing the power button resulted in no response, but after turning on & off the PSU & unplugging & plugging in the power cable in again, the computer seemed to start up.

However now there is no video signal on the DVI port (VGA port still works), even though the computer can boot into the OS. I went into Device Manager, but it can't seem to "see" the DVI graphics adapter. Both these graphics are integrated.

OS is Vista if that's necessary to know.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:22 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I have a M2A-VM, with XP on it...I'd be thinking PSU.

Louis

#3 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

Alright after some fiddling around with the cables I *somehow* managed to get it working...and today its OK so far (the DVI monitor is working)...

Is there any way though, to make sure that the PSU isn't bad? Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

Well...I usually assume it's OK if everything is working.

As for the cables...they can/do become loosened. Which is why, as a first step with situations like that, it's good to check all connections.

I would continue to watch it, but not be concerned about it.

If you have access to another power supply, you may want to temporarily switch out as one way of testing.

How To Test Your Computers Power Supply (PSU) - Video - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/729606/how_t...wer_supply_psu/

Is It My Power Supply - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/169618/is-it-my-power-supply/

Power Supply How To Diagnose Power Supply Problems - http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/pc/hardware...er/diagnose.php

Power Supply Troubleshooting - http://www.informit.com/articles/article.a...5&seqNum=12

Louis

#5 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:50 PM

As for the cables...they can/do become loosened. Which is why, as a first step with situations like that, it's good to check all connections.

Yeah I did check out the cable connections first...but somehow eventually it worked :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot for the links. Could it be possible though, that the "Crashing and shutting down" thing was just a once-in-a-million thing, and could be nothing wrong with the PC?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

Anything's possible...but I like routine in my systems :thumbsup:.

When things out of the ordinary happen, I get concerned and vexed...and mentally prepare for a clean install (worst case) or buying computer parts (worst case). I like to believe that I can overcome most things, but...that's not the case :flowers:.

My mindset now is...when things act flaky, I think (in this order): CMOS battery, RAM. I haven't had a PSU failure in some time and I have 2/3 spare PSUs in my closet. Anything beyond those and I seek expert help or just replace the suspects (depending on my mood).

All I can suggest is be wary for a while...if it or something else strange occurs, it will be time to make some decisions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users