Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Slow Starting & Sound Skips on Start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hpoppy64

hpoppy64

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:27 AM

Hi, a friend's laptop was infected with a version of TDSS. I was never able to go into safe mode while infected. Because one of the files infected was C:\WINDOWS\system32 indicating the folder and not a file. It was never able to be deleted. I also did not know that when I renamed mbam.exe file... I needed to change it back before restarting the computer. Therefore, malwarebytes never fully cleaned my computer because it could not find mbam.exe on restart. I had to use combofix and it combined with sdfix fixed my safe mode option.

Another issue was the fake BSOD's which occurred when I tried to run a search and when I booted in safe mode. I ran malwarebytes after using combofix and the computer is clean for now. After cleaning the system using ccleaner, deleting old restore points and creating a new restore point, installing antispyware and antivirus software (Avira), and installing a firewall (Comodo), running windows update, updating adobe and open office on my friend's computer; windows XP start up is extremely slow (screen goes black) and the sound files on start up skip. Also new is the option to select which operating system to load and it keeps going. There is only one, Windows XP SP3. I am thinking that I need to uninstall combofix and recovery console? I also read that I should consider making sure that DMA is enabled? Oh... one more thing when TDSS was running rampant, Windows did not recognize the CD/DVD drive and now it does. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:25 AM

The damage to windows may be unfixable, this is why people are instructed to only use SDFix with supervised help and
Combofix with supervision by a trained malware expert.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Running an oem windows xp sp3 disk as a repair might help but I would probably reccomend a clean install

IMPORTANT NOTE: One or more of the identified infections (TDSS[random characters.***]) was related to a nasty variant of the TDSSSERV rootkit component.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1070664
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 hpoppy64

hpoppy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

Thank you for your candor and for your assistance. As it was not my computer, I was trying not to have to clean the computer. I only followed postings from your experts as I said before I only ran into a problem when I didn't know that I had to change mbam back to its original name before restarting and since I could never start in safe mode. I used sdfix and combofix as a last resort. I am headed to take a final look at their computer. If after uninstalling combofix and recovery console and the system doesn't speed up, I will do a clean install of xp. Is there a way to update straight to SP 3? Thanks again.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xpsp3_slipstream.asp

http://www.pcmech.com/article/slipstream-s...-xp-install-cd/

SP3 has finally made my life easier
Chewy

#5 hpoppy64

hpoppy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for the links. I took a look and they seem pretty painless. I left their computer running scandisk and it is checking for errors. I uninstalled recovery console and it is still taking a while to load windows and every so often the sound files skip on restart.

I am concerned that I may not be able to do a clean install if I cannot get windows to recognize the CD/DVD drive. Any fix for that if scandisk doesn't fix it? I think I ran it before and it fixed the recognition of the CD drive but then disappeared.

I ran ATF Cleaner in safe mode and superantispyware free edition with clean results other than 2 instances of tracking cookies. I ran them after a scan by Avira found TDSS in a dump file. Now it appears its clean. When I can do a clean install of Windows, will the mix of comodo firewall, avira anti virus, and malwarebytes be a good mix for their laptop? OR should I add or skip anything? I was thinking of adding spywareblaster for them and keeping malwarebytes installed for me to run when I visit. I appreciate the help...Thank you

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:25 AM

comodo firewall, avira anti virus, and malwarebytes be a good mix for their laptop? OR should I add or skip anything? I was thinking of adding spywareblaster

that's a very good choice
Chewy

#7 hpoppy64

hpoppy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

Thanks. I am going to do a clean install. You and your site have been great. Thanks again!!!! :thumbsup:

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:33 AM

On behalf of the Bleepin Community, you are welcome
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users