Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone else get a virus for Christmas?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CrutchyT

CrutchyT

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:59 AM

My My sister also got a scareware alert on her new comp yesterday., and a few days back my nephew got one on his new computer in the form of a sudden alert that AntiVir had found 177 infections on his computer-a possible virus payload (where a virus is programmed to unleash bunch of viruses/trojans after a certain action is performed, or to go off time bomb-style after a certain date. I've read that Christmas is a popular time for this sort of thing, when everyone's gotten brandy-new comps, perhaps not completely set up yet. Apparently infections on the factory floor have become a problem with tech assembled in China.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else had similar incidents the past few days.

Edited by Pandy, 11 January 2009 - 12:53 AM.
Moved from Breaking Virus and Security News Pandy~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 haun

haun

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

China is infecting out computers at the factory level? So thats how they are going to take over... good plan.

Naww, i just set up as much as i could before i got on, then the only place i went to was the Avast site. Set that all up and now im clean flyin!
Annnnd you're, asking, me...

#3 CrutchyT

CrutchyT
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

It's ingenious-give us led poisoning, then make it impossible for to go on WebMd to diagnose it.

Yeah, the same problem with a lot of electronic devices- digital picture frames, ipods, computers. Always scan new gadgets with your antivirus when you hook e'm up to your computer. Best Buy has already taken a unspecified corrective actions against a couple manufacturers.The first thing I did when I set up my nephew's computer was install AntiVir from Avira's website and it immediately detected a virus in the tangent games package, so I deleted the whole thing. We both have new HPs, and with hours-long, exhaustive Dr Web searches found the same, if not very similar, contaminants in both of them ("such and such contains infected objects" and "possible DLtrojan") that the most reputable online scanners couldn't find, not mention AntiVir which has the highest detection rate in the industry. False positives? Perhaps, but it's good to get rid of whatever it was, anyway (Thanks, BleepCom!).

#4 Kandinsky

Kandinsky

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:35 AM

My old E machine came with a virus packed into one of the dozen or so crap add programs that came preinstalled on it. I got it in 2000 I think.

I got a new virus on the new computer, but I think it was from a downloader program being configured to accept p2p by mistake... I didn't look, Doh!

Edited by Kandinsky, 08 January 2009 - 12:38 AM.

#5 CrutchyT

CrutchyT
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

Yeesh, my nephew just informed me he got warning from Threatfire that it caught thousands of viruses on it, but everything's ok. Could have been a false poz, or a conflict with AntiVir, but it seems odd that he's had all these scares. My comp has all the same software save for Threatfire (no 64 bit version yet) and Superantispyware (I have Webroot Spysweeper). Still, I don't know what to make of it.

#6 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:17 AM

Not sure but i'm guessing. When people open the new computer for Xmas. Most likely they will turn them on unaware of protection. This statement is geared towards new computer users. More or less they will download something or click on something that isn't safe and it starts a nasty chain reaction though out a number of machines.
Posted Image

#7 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:39 AM

Nope :thumbsup:

#8 nospam

nospam

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

I got the real-av virus sometime after Xmas, but luckily that old desktop was offline for the most part. Still a PITA to get rid of, so I guess I got a belated Xmas virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users