Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC shuts off by itself, while using or waking from sleep more

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 1bsymum

1bsymum

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:45 PM

:huh: Hey This is a two part question in case my problem is related? My PC protection wasn't on for a period of time, when I figured it out I went to microsoft and tried the onecare scan, it wouldn't complete the scan. I'm wondering if I had spyware or a virus change my system (nothing shows up with any scan). I've had problems ever since, my most recent and very irritating is if I am online or wake up my pc from sleep mode, the fan kicks on loudly, and my pc shuts off! I have a Gateway Quadcore, just a year old, I've tried a scan with them, their scan said my fan was fine. Gateway also suggested to reload my Hard drive? I haven't tried that yet, and don't know how that would help? Could someone please tell me what causes a pc to just shut down, could this be an infection, or hardware problems? And if I were to wipe my pc clean the way it was installed when I received it, could this help, is there too much on my hard drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

If there is a software problem, or a virus problem - wiping the hard drive clean and starting over would most likely fix it.
But, this would wipe out everything on your hard drive - then you'd have to reinstall Vista, then reinstall the Drivers and Applications from the Drivers and Applications disk that the Gateway system should've asked you to make.

This is sort of overkill if you're just looking to remove a virus/cure a software problem - but it is the quickest way to rule out all sorts of software/virus issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 1bsymum

1bsymum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:35 PM

Thanks for the reply, as it turns out I didn't get back up CDS with my pc, I'll have to burn those in the next day. I was thinking about wiping my system out the way I had received it from the factory. Will that solve anything or do you think it would be better to wipe it out completely and reinstall everything? I didn't want to do this that's why I have stalled for so long but, it's weighing on my patience :huh: !! My pc goes into sleep mode and it will not wake back up, I have to hit the power button and restart the entire thing!! Do you think that this is probably a virus causing all this havoc? If I need to reinstall the drivers and applications is it simple to do by myself or do I need someone who knows more about pcs to do it? Thanks again for your help!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:33 AM

The best method is to use an application such as KillDisk ( http://www.killdisk.com/ ) to wipe the entire drive clean (including viruses), then restore the system to factory settings.

Gateway normally gives you a Vista OS disk, but you've got to make the Applications and Drivers DVD yourself. If you don't have/can't make either - then you'll have to contact Gateway for replacements.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users