Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partial New Build will not boot!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MWR

MWR

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

Hi, recently i purchased an ASUS P5Q-E MOBO and an Intel Q6660 processor. I installed this in my case using my old GPU a Evga Geforce 7600gs and HDDs, a Western Digital 250g and a Seagate 200g along with a new LG dvd/cd drive and I purchased a 650watt BFG power supply. Before i go into more detail, i know all of the old components work perfectly as i have tested them. OK, so I put in the memory, 2x Kingston 512mb 533mhz ddr2 240pin and 2x Viking 256mb 533mhz ddr2 240pin. install the CPU, and i mount the mobo in the case. next i install the GPU into the first PCI-E slot which is a 2.0 but they are BW compatible. next i get the motherboard power plugs hooked up. The 24pin and the 8 pin eax12v. I rig up the power to the HDDs and the dvd/cd drive run the Stata and ide cables, plug her in and hit the power button.... All lights flick on, all fans spin perfectly, all drives power up...but there is no picture on my monitor yet when i leave it running i can feel the heatsink on the card and it is warm as if it has power and producing a picture. I also noticed that the wireless hub for my mouse and keyboard is not lit up as it normally would at the ASUS splash screen...this leads me to think that there is an issue with RAM, the CPU or, dread, the MOBO itself. When it powers on, all lights come on, all fans start to spin, ect., as if it were going to boot right up. However: as I mentioned before, the mouse hub is not lighting up which also controls the keyboard. this would mean that the boot-up is not occuring correct? is it a sign that the motherboard is damaged and power is not reaching the USB ports a? I am stumped finally and am seeking help with this diagnosis. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have however tried everything on the ASUS webpage, POST is fine, Grounding did nothing, ect. Any other information needed, just ask and i will provide. (On a side note, i apologize for my sloppiness, i am tired and frustrated. as anyone would be in this case, and gave as detailed info as i could right now. :thumbsup: )
Thank you for reading,
Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:11 PM

It's okay, we've all been there. What happens if you boot with the mouse and keyboard connected directly to the computer and not a hub? Is the RAM seated properly? Are they all DDR2-1200 matching pairs? Have you tried booting with only one stick in a slot? Are all the pins on the CPU straight and undamaged? Can you get to the BIOS without installing any of the components? Does the GPU require any additional power connections? Can you confirm that the fan on the GPU and CPU are indeed working?

3939.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:18 PM

POST is fine...............

Post means you have a video signal.

Try with only 1 stick of RAM, swap slots, reset CMOS, make sure CMOS jumper/switch is in position to post (that one stumped me on an ABIT once). If that fails, pull the MOBO out of the case with only CPU, 1 stick of RAM, video card and power supply connected. Don't hook up any hard drives/disk drives, just MOBO 24pin and 8pin and video power connector if needed. See if that will post.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 MWR

MWR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:35 AM

Hmm....that could be it...the motherboard does take ddr2-1200 i have 533 in right now...i just realized this...am i right that this would be the problem? and i tried those tests, still nothing...

Edited by MWR, 02 January 2009 - 07:40 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

using my old GPU a Evga Geforce 7600gs and HDDs,

Does the hard drive still have an operating system on it?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 MWR

MWR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

using my old GPU a Evga Geforce 7600gs and HDDs,

Does the hard drive still have an operating system on it?

Yes, I still have my old xp pro on it. I also put the new mobo drivers on before the switch. Pertaining to my last post, can I use my ddr2-533 in this mobo? it says 1200 but If I am not mistaken, ddr2 is BW compatible... the 1200 is just a max or overclock speed? I may purchase a newer GPU just to test that mine may not be compatible with this mobo. Although it does heat up to running temperatures while It is in and the computer is running...if that doesn't work would you say it is my motherboard and I should RMA for a replacement? (By the way, I give thanks to everyone for giving their insight and advice on my situation =D. I am glad to have joined this community!!!)

Edited by MWR, 02 January 2009 - 04:35 PM.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

You might want to do some reading
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

If you are using DDR2-533 in a motherboard built for DDR2-1200, you will have problems. You must use DDR2-1200 or higher in that motherboard. If you use a higher memory, it would downclock to DDR2-1200 speeds. Note that DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 are not interchangeable on most motherboards. Recent mobos will, sometimes, support DDR2 or DDR3 but not at the same time.

3939.png

#9 MWR

MWR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

I did a bit of research earlier and found that the lowest supported by my motherboard is 800mhz. So most likely my issue is that my motherboard can not down clock low enough in order to run on this Ram, thus resulting in POST failure. I plan to run out and purchase a bit of new Ram for my system tomorrow and hopefully it will work. I will update with the results. In the mean time...thank you to all who have helped me thus far. =D

#10 MWR

MWR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

This afternoon I purchased a pair of Kingston pc2-6400 800mhz 1G sticks of Ram and, FINALLY, the system went through POST and the system is up and running! Thank you to everybody who helped me. Such a simple problem I had overlooked when building, but hey...it happens.

Again thanks to everyone,
Mark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users