Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please confirm or rebuff my security plan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Not-IT

Not-IT

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

Hello Bleeping Users,

I an not nan IT guy but have inherited the job at my new employ. I have really enjoyed all of the help and information I have gotten in the last two days. I had a System32 problem with Vista and the responses I received have lead me to do a reinstall. (Many thanks again for that help.)

As I said in my other post the computer I am working on came from my bosses home and has great problems, to include no security programs that are running. I have put together a plan for this machine (and I will move it to our other five machines too). We are very small and so for now I am going with all freeware solutions, some of which will require a little more interaction than the automated commercial versions. From what I have read here, and on other forums, and on the web, I "think" that I have a good plan, but I would love to have anyone poke holes in it if it needs improvement.

So here it my plan:

-Install A-squared spyware and virus removal program / or Intsall DrWeb Antivirus Program / or install spybot S&D
-Get and run MWAV 9.x (freeware) spyware and virus removal program on a weekly basis (Installation not required)
-Install ArovaxShield spyware prevention program
-Run a weekly online scan with Kaspersky.com/virusscanner
-Use Firefox 3.0.5 with the following add-ons:
-Web Of Trust (WOT) website safety detection and notification
-DrWeb virus checker for downloaded files
-NoScript to prevent the downloading or activation of maliscious script codes from websites while using Firefox
-Disable Internet Explorer so Firefox is the only useable browser (or at least delete the easy shortcuts to IE in case it's still needed now and then)
-Place a "Security and Remedies" folder on all desktops that includes:
-Instructions on Good security practices
-Instructions on using the in-office standard security software (listed above)
-Instructions on what to do if infected
-Links to file checking services for doublechecking if file is infected or not before deleting (for unknown files only)
http://www.virustotal.com/
http://scanner.virus.org/
http://viruschief.com/
http://novirusthanks.org/
-Instructions on what to do if you get a pop-up wanting to give you a different antivirus/spyware progeam than the in-office standards
-Do not click the "close" button on the pop-up window
-Use ALT+CRTL+ESC to invoke Task Manager and exit safely from the pop-up Window.
-Links to free malware removal assistance (see copy of post above)
-Install Comodo free firewall for vista 64bit OS
-Put ClamWin and MWAV 9.x on USB-drive to have for portable virus scanning ability for when someone goes to a bad site and gets a virus (it will happen)
-Setup all machines to be able to boot from USB for trobleshooting purposes if necessary
-Partition USB-drive to have a boot drive, a security drive, and a transportable file storage drive for using in emergencies and getting in with a stable Linux platform if needed

Well, I'm sure there will be a load of personal preferences and a bunch of things I can improve. If you can help me learn I will greatly appreciate it.

Not-IT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Not-IT

Not-IT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

I an not nan IT guy

Apparently I can't type either...I am not an IT guy.... :thumbsup: