Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't locate my wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kmichaels

kmichaels

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

My sister's laptop cannot connect or locate our wireless connection. We are using a Linksys, WRT54G2. You need a security key to access it. The router is upstairs at our desktop computer. Everything was unplugged for about a day because of some home renovations, but we finished and reset the router, and now the desktop is able to connect just fine and 3 other laptops in the house can connect just fine. Before all this work in the house was done, she was able to connect to the internet just fine.
When I refresh the Wireless Network Connection list, it finds "linksys," which is unsecured. I think it may possibly be our old connection? We replaced the router about a year ago. Is it even possible for our old connection to still be available? Anyway, how can I connect her laptop to our current wireless connection? Any other info you may need, please ask it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

My sister's laptop cannot connect or locate our wireless connection. We are using a Linksys, WRT54G2. You need a security key to access it. The router is upstairs at our desktop computer. Everything was unplugged for about a day because of some home renovations, but we finished and reset the router, and now the desktop is able to connect just fine and 3 other laptops in the house can connect just fine. Before all this work in the house was done, she was able to connect to the internet just fine.
When I refresh the Wireless Network Connection list, it finds "linksys," which is unsecured. I think it may possibly be our old connection? We replaced the router about a year ago. Is it even possible for our old connection to still be available? Anyway, how can I connect her laptop to our current wireless connection? Any other info you may need, please ask it!

Hi Mate,

Welcome to BC.Can you please describe your situation a little more clearly. I want to know is your desktop able to connect to internet. Apart from the what about the other 3laptops which you said used to connect before. Is it only your sister laptop not able to connect.

The reason why you are able to see "linksys" which is unsecured as after you RESET the router is set to default factory settings. So you need to reconfigure the linksys router again. But first lets make your desktop work first then we can deal with laptop.

All you need to configure Linksys using the webinterface.
1) open Internet explorer or Firefox and type in 192.168.1.1
2) username: leave it BLANK
3) password: admin
4) check the status page of it.

You can speak to your service provider if you want the ADSL login details.

Please ask for any questions or you didn't understand anything here.

Cheers.

Edited by sreez, 02 January 2009 - 12:18 PM.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users