Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP in Slow Motion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:15 PM

I have been fighting this syndrome for some time now. Here is the background.

I have an Dell Latitude XP OS, PS, 2 MHz processor, 512 MB RAM. etc.

When d/l my mail (Outlook Express), or send it, the process is very slow in the dialup mode. This is not the case with broadband. Slow, meaning minutes upon minutes, compared to seconds. I can 'see' that the computer is 'waiting' for the list of messages from the server, or is waiting to send messages to the server. Sometimes it waits 10 minutes, and the POP server times out.

This never happens with RoadRunner broadband.

I have an IBM Thinkpad (PII) with Win 2000 and it beat this XP20-50X over, working in the same room on the same telephone line.

I have scanned with Ad-Aware, Spybot, Norton AV. I have this software plus Zone Alarm (free) installed on both computers (IBM PII and Dell Latitude).

This is driving me crazy. Is there a 'switch' I can turn off to get this XP system moving a little faster.

Thank you.

polaris6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:34 PM

How does regular browsing work with the XP system using dialup? Is that extraordinarily slow as well?

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:46 PM

No it is not. This slow pace seems only restricted to email send/receive operations only (Outlook Express), and only on dialup, and only this Dell Latitude laptop.

#4 computingelite

computingelite

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:25 AM

Have you tried sending and receiving email via different methods? ie. Just Microsoft Outlook (non express) or hotmail etc.?

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:36 AM

I don't have the problem when I use webmail, of any sort. It seems specific to:

...dialup only connection

...uploading and downloading to the Bellsouth Server.

...only with mail

I have talked with BellSouth and they say everything is fine on their end.

Would the firewalls retard transfer of mail that much.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:25 AM

Remake a new connection to the Bell South dialup server using their tech support to guide you through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users