Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What can I do to make 5 yo comp faster?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hi Folks,

I have an 04 HP Compaq Presario Sr1000Z, product # P8657J. It came with only 256k RAM and 80G hard drive. I have since increased the ram to 1216 MB RAM. My processor is an AMD Athlon XP, 1833 MHz (11 x 167) 2500+. Mobo is and Asus A7V8X-LA (Kelut) (3PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394) installed in 05 or 06. BIOS type Award. I have approx 37 GB free space.

I just bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 which says it requires 2.0 or faster processor, XP SP2 or 3 (I have 3), etc. Somewhere, between installing this and Adobe Reader 9 (I had been using Foxit), my system slowed down to a crawl, literally. I removed both, and now it's back to it's normal speed.

My question is, is it possible to install more than 2.16 MHz processor (this seems to be HP's limit for my puter), and is that really all I need to do to make these programs work for me? Sadly, I'm not in any position to buy a new box, and I'm not that experienced under the hood, but have replaced a few components and would be willing to put in a new processor. I do a lot with photography and quilt design. I run EQ6, which is another space and graphic intensive software, although it's requirements are not as high as the PSE 7. I saw what looked like an impressive and inexpensive AMD processor at newegg's on line, but I think it was a 2.66MHz. Would I be able to install it, or is there a better fix out there? Sure would appreciate some sound advice here, as I am at a loss as how to make this all work properly. To make matters worse, I am on dial up still, and PSE has a plethora of web tutorials, all of which are quite graphic intensive, too.

This Grandma needs help to keep up with her photos and quilt making. Thanks so much.

Eagle7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

According to HP. that board will support up to a 2.2ghz 3200+(Barton). You will need a "Socket A" 462 pin processor. Since it runs at a 200FSB vs 166FSB for your current CPU, your memory might not clock that high. CPU-Z should tell you what your current memory specs are.

As far as that curing the slowdowns of your system, I don't know. Have you gone in to taskmanager and found out if any background program(s) are eating up CPU cycles? Have you disabled unneeded startup items with MSCONFIG? Is your hard drive causing excessive loading times? I hate Adobe Reader. Once I found Foxit I never looked back. A lot of programs (Adobe programs are one) install background apps (like updater etc.) that slow a system down. you can disable a lot through MSCONFIG and regain some performance. I would try the simple stuff first before shelling out cash for another CPU. It gets hard to justify cash outlays for older systems.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

What programs are running in the background? Your PC can support up to 2GB of DDR-333 (PC-2700) memory. You might also want to check and make sure you have plenty of hard drive space remaining. Socket A processors are hard to come by, it will be difficult to locate one. Use caution with MSCONFIG, if you don't know what you're doing, you can make some problems worse.

3939.png

#4 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:29 AM

Hi dpunisher,

I'm curious where you located the info on what my board will handle. Mind sharing? Thanks. Do I still need to run CPU-Z if I've already run Everest Home Edition? It tells me what's in my puter. Does CPU-Z tell me anything different?

Yes, I've gone into Task Mgr, nothing out of the ordinary there. I've also disabled unneeded start up items in MSCONFIG, as well as some services in my Services area. I went back to Foxit, so no Adobe Reader clogging my puter up anymore. I'm religious on my maintenance, defragging, etc. As well, I run a tight ship with AVG 8 and a couple other anti-spywares, so things are clean as far as I know. I guess I should reinstall just the Adobe photoshop 7 w/out the Adobe reader and see if I get the same slow down as before.

Here's the processor I saw on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103239

I realize that's for a 2.6, which if I understand you is too much for my box. Maybe you can guide me to one more my size? This was less than $40, which I didn't think seemed bad. Thanks, look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Eagle7

#5 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:49 AM

Hi DJB,

I've got your normal processes running in the background, security, utility, apps, and MS' required services. I have 37 GB's of free space of 80 total.

I did look up a 2800+ processor and was shocked to see that it was more than double the price of the larger one at newegg. Gee, what's up with that? I was really hoping for better news, but thanks for the honest heads up. Much appreciated. Thanks too, for the warning re using MSCONFIG. I am quite careful. Have learned alot in nearly 5 years.

Regards,

Eagle7

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:14 AM

Sadly, that is a socket AM2, not a Socket A. Socket A was discontinued years ago.

Board specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...=c00069442#N677

Chipset specs: http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/k7-series/km400a/

That was a later model chipset, so it had pretty good processor support. It has asynchronous bus support, so it should support a 200fsb CPU with your current memory. Those CPUs are getting hard to find as DJBPace07 stated above.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-ATHLON-XP-3200-CPU...p3286.m20.l1116

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:34 AM

As processors get older and more difficult to find, the price will go up.

ATHLON XP 3200+ OEM SOCKET A (400Mhz BUS) 512K
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2GHz 400MHz L2-512KB Cache Socket A Processor OEM
AMD ATHLON XP 3200 BARTON CORE CPU PROCESSOR SOCKET A 462 PIN 2.200 GHz 400 FSB

3939.png

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

It would seem I am sitting on a gold mine of old CPUs.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

It would seem I am sitting on a gold mine of old CPUs.

Who needs a 401(k) when they have old CPU's! Seriously, as tech gets older it often becomes more expensive. It's simple supply and demand, even old processors.

3939.png

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

Well...I think it's time to think about buying a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM...for what some desire for outdated processors.

Not only will the CPU be faster, so will the RAM...for less money. The new motherboard is just a throw-in :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

Hi DJB,

Heavens!! I had no idea an old processor would cost that much!! So, my old computer must be worth a million, right?! LOL Geez. Thanks for bringing me back to reality. Now, I'll concentrate on how in the world I can land a new computer..

Regards,

Eagle7

#12 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Hi Dpunisher,

Yep, that's my mobo! Thanks for the tour, much appreciated.

Regards,

Eagle7

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

Just for comparison, the AMD's top quad-core Phenom processor, the 9950, costs $169. If you decide to replace the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, the mobo will cost about $100 to $150 (depending on what you want), the CPU costs about the same, and the RAM is about $100. You can reuse many of the old components, like the hard drives, optical drives, and the PCI cards. An upgrade like that might be worthwhile to look into. Older technology can get expensive, I had an old Presario that used RAMBUS memory. Since only they made it, it would cost over $200 for a 512MB memory kit. The PC itself when I went to upgrade it was worth less than the memory.

Edited by DJBPace07, 02 January 2009 - 06:55 PM.

3939.png

#14 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

Hi DJB,

So, if I understand you correctly, are you saying that if I install a new mobo then I could also install a dual or quad core processor because it's my current mobo that is limiting the size processor I can put in? If that's so, then am I getting into needing additional fans for the higher powered processor or do they not present overheating problems? Is it difficult to install a new mobo? This coming from someone who has worked on cars before. Are there going to be any other compatibility issues here, like this tranny won't work with that rear end? Or this engine has to many horseys for that video card? Thanks. I'm hoping you're giving me a ray of light here.

Regards,

Eagle7

#15 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

Hi Hamluis,

Thanks for the idea. As you can see, with DJB, seconding your idea, I've asked for some additional input regarding this idea. Hopefully, we're on to something workable.

Regards,

Eagle7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users