Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade My Build in 09

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vinnyd

vinnyd

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:46 AM

Happy New Year to All:
The new year means upgrade! OK, I have an XFX Nvidia 680i LT MOBO w/ a Q6600. It looks like the fastest CPU upgrade is the QX6850 CPU. I can get one for $415. The Q9s don't seem to be compatible with my mobo. I was also thinking about a Zalman 9700 ($54) to cool it. What do you think? You helped me build my original machine and it ran great. I value your input.TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:45 PM

According to XFX, you can get an E8600 Dual Core processor or a Q9650 Quad Core processor. Here's the site, look for the CPU compatibility list for all supported processors. The processors I listed are the more powerful ones. Most Zalman coolers are very good. I like the XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE, it's quiet and very efficient.

3939.png

#3 vinnyd

vinnyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:17 AM

DJBPace07
Thank you for your help. Interestingly, I found two different compatibility lists when I went to where you referenced on that site. The one you referenced is in the "products" section for the 680i mobo. But, there is another list when I log on to XFX where I'm registered that indicates that the Q9650 is not compatible with my 680i. This is a conflict and I have notified XFX. I'm very glad that you found this other compatibility list. If I can, I will opt for the Q9650 as you pointed out. I want to stick with the quad-core CPU as opposed to the dual-core ones. Once again, thanks.
VR
Vinny D

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:19 PM

That's odd, I thought they would have a single compatibility list. You may need a BIOS update to use some of the newer processors.

3939.png

#5 vinnyd

vinnyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:21 AM

DJBPace07:
Downloaded the P08 BIN update and used the Winflash utility to flash the BIOS. It said that my update was successful. When I restarted it hung up! Now I can't get the BIOS to run. Think I'm in trouble. Any ideas? Would manually resetting the CMOS get me anywhere? I'm at a loss on what to do. Good thing I have my old PC.
VR
Vinny D

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

I don't suggest flashing a BIOS through Windows. Winflash works best if the PC has not been overclocked and everything, as in all background tasks and any non-essential software, is stopped. I also don't recommend doing it unless it solves a problem or adds much needed functions. I cannot get into the XFX support site without a password and username so I do not know what the P08 update does. Typically, to update a BIOS you need to create an ISO or a bootable floppy as per the manufacturer's instructions. You should try resetting the CMOS, check your motherboard's instruction manual for information on how to do this.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users